1 Timothy 1



        Oh, what beautiful words Paul speaks to Timothy when he says, “The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.” 
        What wonderful hope the cross of Christ gives us!  No longer do I have to purport myself to be worthy of God’s love, sufficient for his mercy, or superior to sinners around me!  I live by grace.  And if that is not enough, the grace that I have received, the very fact that God can forgive a sinner like me through Jesus death and resurrection, is testimony that He can save sinners like you, your neighbor, your children, your enemies, indeed, everyone. 
        Do not shy away from being who you are – a sinner who is forgiven in Christ.  Don’t hide it.  Declare it!  “Jesus has redeemed me!”  And long more and more for God’s grace. 
        John Donne (1572-1631) wrote a wonderful poem about God’s grace in his broken life.  I’ve modernized some of the spelling and added some vocab help.  I put it here as a closing prayer to ask for God to keep us always in His loving forgiveness through faith. 

Holy Sonnet XIV:  Batter My Heart, Three-Person'd God
Batter my heart, three person'd God; for, you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labor to admit you, but Oh, to no end,
Reason your viceroy in me, me should defend,  (viceroy = royal leader)
But is captiv'd, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain, (fain = willingly/with joy)
But am betroth'd unto your enemy:
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

Comments