Hebrews 10



        When I graduated from college, it was required for all of us who were to go on to study at the seminary to have an interview with the president of our respective church districts (something like a bishop).  I was thoroughly intimidated.  This man would be the final obstacle before I could go on and pursue becoming a pastor.  What if he said, “No.”?  What if he felt I wasn’t good enough?  What if he asked me a theological question I couldn’t answer?  Would I have to go back home humiliated? 
        I was ushered into the president’s office at my appointment time.  He got up from his desk, smiling, shook my hand and said, “Eric, it is good to meet you.  Let’s talk about pastoral ministry.”  And we did for the next 30 minutes or so.  It was a good talk; a friendly talk.  I walked away wondering, “What was I afraid for?” 
        We often lack confidence when we deal with people who are our supervisors or have authority over us.  (If you can’t relate to that:  bless you!)  This lack of confidence spills over into our relationship with God, which, if there is anyone who should intimidate us; it is Him!  But Hebrews 10 says, “… since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus … let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.” 
        We have confidence to go into the holy places – into God’s presence – because Jesus has offered the perfect final offering to forgive our sins and lawlessness.  “Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.”  That forgiveness is the only thing that sanctifies us – that is, makes us holy.  No work or deed that we can perform with sprinkle our hearts clean or assuage our guilty consciences.  Indeed, we must be washed with “pure water.”  (And how could water be more pure than when connected to and combined with God’s Word in Baptism?) 
        This is the hope and confession that we hold on to:  He who promised, Jesus Himself, if faithful and therefore we are forgiven. 

Lord Jesus, You have washed my sins away.  Help me to cling to Your work.  Help me be faithful through Your salvation.  Amen.

Comments