1 Corinthians 6

1 Corinthians 6

        One of the phrases that most clearly displays the radical individualism that U.S. Americans revel in is, “It’s my body! I’ll do what I want with it!” It comes up when people discuss abortion, nutrition, exercise, and other matters. To many this line of reasoning is like laying a trump card that beats all other cards on the table. Except, what if we are wrong? What if these are not, strictly speaking, our bodies?
        Paul preaches, “You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”  God is saying, “I paid for you. The price was very high; the blood of my son! You are mine, body and all.” 
        On the one hand this is a strong word of God’s Law. It speaks to sexual immorality (hetero- and homosexual), business conduct, drunkenness, and much more. These are things we should not participate in. Why not? We belong to God and are accountable to Him. He has every right to make demands of us because He not only created us, but also redeemed us at great cost to Himself. We can say, “All things are lawful for me!” all we want, defiantly claiming a freedom we do not own. God says, “You are Mine, and what I want for you is better than what you want. Slavery in My service is better than the so-called freedom the world offers.”
        On the other hand this message that we can glorify God with our bodies is a beautiful word of God’s Gospel. The redemption that we have in Jesus makes us holy, and that holiness “infects” all aspects of our lives. It is not just the pastor, missionary, or church worker who does righteous work. We all do. Jesus’ salvation has such dramatic impact on our lives that all things that we do in faith are holy to the Lord – even our physical work.
        When we cut our grass, wash our dishes, work on automobiles, crunch numbers, apply our minds to problems, change diapers, pull weeds, fix plumbing, set up computer networks, drive truck, or whatever we do with our bodies, it glorifies God when we do it in faith that Jesus has given us forgiveness for our sins. He is pleased when we use these bodies in faith. Indeed, in the end He intends to give us new resurrected bodies in which we will perfectly glorify God.


Lord, help me live in Your forgiveness and glorify You with my body. Let me see that I am Yours and, knowing it, give thanks to You. Amen. 

Comments