Romans 6

Romans 6

        It was October, 1972. I was one month old, and I became a Christian. It was not because I had some epiphany that led me to believe that Jesus was the Christ, indeed, I do not remember the experience at all. Nor do I have an amazing story of years of drug and alcohol addiction, wild living, and corruption that all disappeared after I came to faith. In fact, I’ve done almost all of my sinning as person who is also a child of God. I barely participated in the event! My parents and godparents took turns holding me. They handed me to our pastor, Raymond Pollatz, Sr. He took water and spoke God’s Word and baptized me. And I became a Christian.
        It isn’t that what happened to me in 1972 wasn’t dramatic – at least not on a spiritual level. I was plunged into – not water, which was lightly poured on me, but – Christ’s death. You see, this alone is what can atone for sin. Romans 6:23 says that the wages of sin is death, and that is exactly what I got when I was baptized: Christ’s death! Not only that, but being united with Jesus in His death, I became united with Him in His resurrection. I was, truly, born again.
        Notice that I say this, “happened to me,” and that I was, “born again.” I had as little choice in this birth as I had in my biological birth. Baptism is not something we choose to do, it is done to us. Jesus said to make disciples by baptizing and teaching. This is how it is done. God works through the water connected to and combined with His Word to create saving faith in the one who is baptized. He uses these things to wash away sin. He grants eternal life through that washing.
        It would be somewhat comforting to think that I did something to add to my salvation. My pride would like that. But, the fact is that I did not. No one does. Even those who say, “I chose to be a follower of Jesus,” are speaking from their natural limitations and speaking in human terms. (v. 19) No, my faith and salvation are no credit to me. They are entirely gifts from the Holy Spirit who calls, gathers, and enlightens every believer.
        This is actually more comforting, though, than thinking I somehow did something to get this hope that I have in Jesus. It takes it out of my hands and puts it in Jesus’. And that is a much more certain hope.


Lord, I set my hope on You because You Yourself made me Yours. Amen.

Comments