Matthew 1

Matthew 1

        Bill Tritten is a man I’ve never met – I’m think he died before I was born, and I’m not sure how he’s related to me – but I’ve heard stories about him and some of his exploits, because Bill was … well … he was a thief. A bit of an embarrassment to our family, but there you have it.
        From another part of my family I’ve had relatives who were also known for other kinds of law-breaking. A retired Department of Natural Resources officer in Michigan wrote a book that names two of my great-uncles as persistent poachers. Oops.
        We cannot chose our family of origin or erase their exploits. Every family has its heroes and villains if you dig deep enough below the veneer we like to show to our friends and neighbors.
        Jesus’ family was no different. People are often quick to think of Jesus as the descendant of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It’s exciting to think of His connection to these heroes of our faith. In the same way one of the favorite names for Jesus is, “the Son of David.” He is the descendant who reigns on David’s throne eternally – great David’s greater son.  What a heritage Jesus has with ancestors like these and faithful Ruth, and the good kings Hezekiah and Josiah!
        There are others in this list of ancestors who were, however, less than stellar. Indeed, the heroes named above have plenty of scandals tied to their lives – deception, lies, adultery, and murder.  Consider Tamar who disguised herself as a prostitute and slept with her father-in-law, or Rahab who was a prostitute. There is also King Ahaz who took Isaiah’s prophecy and cut it up and burned it. Manasseh is said to be the one who killed Isaiah by having him cut in two after stuffing him into a hollow log.
        How can the Son of God have such ancestors? It is because the Son of God is also the Son of Man – fully human in every way and yet He never sinned. The embarrassing sinfulness of His own family – and your family’s, too – is why Jesus became one of us and did what we could not. He kept God’s law and died a sinless death to save us. Not only that, but He is risen and is the hope and savior of all sinners.


Lord, thank you for becoming human just like me, and for being my God and Savior. Help me share the hope and forgiveness I have in You. Amen.

Comments