June 15, 2015

Instruction

Scripture: Job 38:1-11

Through all his suffering Job remained faithful to God until he finally came to the point when he exclaimed, “Let the Almighty answer me!” (31:35). Chapter 38 is the beginning of a four chapter response from God in which he essentially says, “I am God. I don’t answer to you.” While this is but a taste of God’s answer, it functions to put Job (and us) in awe of God and to call us to put our trust in him as the Almighty who provides for his people.

Teaching

As Job was confronted by his friends they provided many reasonable arguments to defend God’s justice and to accuse Job of deserving the terrible things he had experienced. Not only that, but in arguing his own innocence Job himself proclaimed he wanted an answer from God. God’s answer is to put Job and his friends in their place. He asks, “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?” Too often we assume we know what God should or would do in a given situation. His response here tells us that our reason cannot match God’s wisdom.
God revealed himself as the Creator of all things in this passage. He will continue in this vein putting Job in his place, but also putting Job in awe of God once again. This passage is important for us modern believers to remember in a world that sees creation more-or-less as a random accident. It is not. It is designed by a God who takes all things into account and to whom all things are accountable.

Life

When people go through difficult times they can become overwhelmed by the pain they are experiencing. It is not a sin to wonder why we suffer; although the Bible makes clear that the source of our suffering is sin, just not necessarily a particular sin. We assume that God must be punishing us when we suffer, and that there can be no good purpose in it. But one of the awesome things about God is the way that he uses suffering to his glory. There is no greater example of that than the cross, and Jesus’ sacrificial suffering and death to redeem us.
When we become overwhelmed Job reminds us that there is another factor at work in the world. Beyond our sin, beyond all evil, God the Creator, Redeemer, and Comforter is at work. He offers us the opportunity to be overwhelmed by him, his power, his love, his sacrifice, his salvation.

Prayer

The theme of this prayer is Confession.

O God, you are the Creator of all things. Please forgive me for the times that I’ve thought that this world was out of control or that my life was random happenstance. Forgive me for the times that I doubted your goodness, your power, your love, or anything else about you as I went through hard times. Forgive me for heeding dark counsels and words without knowledge instead of listening to your word and trusting in you. Forgive me for considering the suffering of my life as punishment from you for something I did or as something that you could not use to your glory. Indeed, please forgive me for caring more about my glory than yours. Forgive me for the sake of Jesus who suffered for me. Amen.

Comments