June 3, 2015

Instruction

Scripture: Psalm 130

This psalm is one of the Psalms of Ascents. It is believed that these psalms were sung as pilgrims came to Jerusalem (which is on a hill) to worship on festivals like Passover, or when they went up to the temple at other times to worship. This psalm is a prayer of one who is in the depths of sorrow because of the sins he committed. It teaches us both to confess our sins and to put our hope in God’s love and mercy. The function of this psalm to teach us how to call upon God in our sin and to give words to the painful experience of feeling separated from God even as we hope in him for salvation.

Teaching

How should we feel when we sin? We are shown two responses in this psalm.
The first response is shown as the psalmist begs for mercy from an emotional place that he calls, “Out of the depths.” Iniquity brings darkness into our lives, including dark emotions like shame, guilt, unworthiness, and powerlessness. This moves us to confess our iniquity and our guilt.
The second response is one that proclaims hope. This is the confession of faith and trust in God. But what is the basis of that faith and trust? That is what the psalmist speaks of toward the end. With the Lord there is steadfast love – not a fickle love that would abandon us. With him is plentiful redemption – not just a little for those who feel their sin is small, but plentiful! These things make us confident that he will redeem his people from all their iniquities.

Life

In our life negative emotions like guilt and shame are often shunned, but in the life of faith there is a time and place for them, and we see that they play an important role. These negative feelings drive us back to God, in whom we have experienced love and redemption. We believe that God loved us so much that he gave his Son, Jesus, to die to redeem us. This leads us to throw ourselves on God’s mercy when we sin.
We are not meant to dwell forever in those dark feelings. Even as watchmen waited for the sun to rise in the early morning, we wait with certainty, hope, and even joy because we know that just as the sun will rise, God will forgive us because he has redeemed us. Because of this we always have hope even in our darkest moments.

Prayer

The theme of this prayer is Confession.
Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord! Please hear my voice and have mercy on me. I know that I have sinned and that my guilt is great. Indeed, it is so great that I can do nothing about it, and of that I am ashamed. But in your love and kindness you have had mercy on me, and so I cry out in hope: Please forgive me for Jesus’ sake! He has died for me. He bore my sin. Do not let my iniquity overcome me, but help me to always have in mind Jesus’ cross and sacrifice. I confess my sin, and I also confess my faith that as surely as the sun will rise you will forgive me because of your great love. Amen. 

Comments