September 17, 2017 - A Forgiving Legacy

Listen here.

How much do those words mean to you? “I forgive you.”

We started the service out with this. We confessed our sins. I forgave you … in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. How did that make you feel?

I remember hearing these words week after week when I was a child. We confessed our sins. The pastor spoke those words. We moved on in the service. I knew I was forgiven.

It was a very different experience when I was in college and my friend and mentor probed my sin, dug into my attitudes, and slowly, methodically, hemmed me in and nailed me to the wall showing that I was no better than the Pharisees at Jesus – breaking the commandments, justifying myself, and freely condemning others of the very sins I had committed. He shattered me with God’s Law and then he did something that was at the same time the worst thing I had ever experienced and the best I could have ever hoped for. He looked me square in the eye and said, “I forgive you.” In Jesus’ name he forgave me. It killed me, and I walked away more alive in faith than I had ever been before.

It was a different experience yet again when I got really mad at one of my children and I was a jerk, I was thoroughly unjust in how I treated her. Can you relate? Have you ever done that? And later I went and apologized and she said, “I forgive you, Daddy.” It killed me. Do you know what I mean? But I walked away filled with love and joy because of what Jesus was doing in my daughter’s life … and in mine.

It’s an altogether different experience to sit next to the hospital bed and to talk to an elderly man who had lived with guilt his whole adult life. He did some things when he was young that he wasn’t proud of – things that you or I might say, “You did what you had to do to survive.” He’d always say, “God’s been better to me, than I ever was to him.” He knew that he had broken God’s perfect law, and despite the fact that he had lived a faithful, wonderful, life after that, the guilt haunted him and with the guilt was fear … can God forgive me. And I spoke gently to him, reminding him that Jesus died to pay for his sins, and I spoke those words, “In the stead and by the command of my Lord Jesus … I forgive you.” He was so relieved and thanked me repeatedly. I was half way home when I got the phone call that he died shortly after I left.
I forgive you.

Friends, where do we hear this message? Where do our neighbors hear this message? Who stands up and says, on God’s behalf and with his authority, I forgive you?

Most of the world is fixated on justice – by which we almost mean vengeance. We want to see comeuppance. We want quid pro quo. We sometimes speak of karma – even though that’s not Biblical – and it’s almost always in the sense that those who do bad things will have bad things happen to them.

Who speaks, “I forgive you,” into that world that wants to balance the scales? Who reminds the world that we can balance the scaled by heaping more on them, or by wiping the debt off of them?

When we speak of a legacy, we speak of both that which we have received from another and that which we pass on. This is our legacy – it is Jesus crucified to atone for our sins. It is him interceding for those who crucified him, “Father, forgive them.” It is that word that he spoke from the cross – tetelesthai – It is finish, the debt is paid … I forgive you.

Who else is poised to speak that message into our community, into our workplaces, our schools, and in our homes?

We are stewards of God’s forgiveness through Jesus’ death and resurrection. And how would God have us steward this message of, “I forgive you”? Would he have us put it in our liturgies and keep it here in the sanctuary? Would he limit it to use in our homes with our children, or just here among our friends? No, this is a message God wants rolling off of our lips into the ears of the world so that every sinner might know the power of the cross and hear those fearful beautiful words … I forgive you.

What do you think, does everyone want to hear those words from God, “I forgive you”? No, no they don’t. If they did, they would be beating down the doors of every church in town. But this message can be uncomfortable. It has implications for how I live my life. It mean that I am accountable.

But does everyone need to hear those words from God, “I forgive you”? Yes, yet they do.
How will we do that? How to we place ourselves in situations where we have opportunity to forgive people? Sometimes it happens very naturally like in our families. “I’m sorry. I forgive you.” Other times it takes relationships, conversations, time, dialogue, sorrow, pain, and a lot of prayer before a person is ready to hear those words. Sometimes people hear them by coming here to worship. Some people are not going to come to worship, but might come to a special event like The Trial of Job. We need to look for opportunities to welcome people here. Sometimes people hear as we engage the community.

But if we don’t tell the world, “I forgive you.” Who will? If God’s people – all of us – don’t carry this message in our hearts and lips, how will they know our gracious loving savior?

You know, last week I talked about the shepherd’s legacy – that he leaves the 99 to find the one. I talked about how this is Jesus’ mission, but he includes us in his mission. Well, this is Jesus’ message, “I forgive you. I died and rose to forgive you and set you free from sin. ” It’s a powerful message that changes people’s lives. It gives hope to the hopeless. It gives love to the unloved. It gives reconciliation to those in conflict. It gives life to the dead. It’s Jesus’ message, but he places is on our lips. No my lips alone, but on our lips, to speak into this world.

Together as a congregation, we come together to proclaim that message … and to make sure that message is spoken into our lives and in our community. Our time, our talents, and our treasures are poured into getting this message to those who carry sin’s load to help them to know that Jesus has borne their load of sin to the cross, and his message to you, to me, to the world is, “I forgive you.”


Comments