September 21, 2017 - Psalm 27:1-9

Listen here.

Welcome to Devotions for Worship where we meditate on the appointed Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday. Thank you for being with me today.

I am Pastor Eric Tritten from Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Hudson, OH.

This coming Sunday is the 16 Sunday after Pentecost.

The Reading: 27:1-9– I will be reading from the English Standard Version translation.

Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
 2 When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall.
 3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.
 4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.
 5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.
 6 And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD.
 7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!
 8 You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek."
 9 Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help. Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation!
 (Ps. 27:1-9 ESV)
Read again, slowly

Comments
This Psalm speaks beautifully, powerfully, and confidently of God’s salvation through the first six verses, then it turns into a prayer … a prayer we still use in some of our liturgy. David boldly talks about God’s salvation and the certainty that God will defend him in every way against his enemies. Then, when he turns to prayer, he asks God to graciously hear and save him. It is almost as if for the first part of the psalm David is preaching to himself (and to us!) about God’s mighty salvation and then he leads us into prayer asking for what God has promised.

One of my professors at the seminary, Dr. Norman Nagel, used to tell us that God loves it when we take hold of his promises and rub them in his nose. It’s a strange image, but we have a bit of an example here of David recounting God’s promises and then turning to God, displaying God’s promises back to him, and saying please do for me as you have promised you would. It is as if David grabs God’s promises and raises them to God’s face saying, “Here is what you have said. Please, keep you word!”

This is a good model for us as we pray, to remember that we too are recipients of God’s salvation. He has taken hold of us by his grace and that is the heart of our relationship with him. He promises us forgiveness, life, salvation, that we will overcome our enemies sin, death, and the devil, and that he will defend our lives and, indeed, raise us from the dead. We then take those promises and place them before the Lord asking, “Please forgive me, protect me, deliver me from evil, lead me not into temptation, etc.” And he gladly hears and says, “Yes, I will do all that I have promised.”

The last verse of the psalm gives us a great piece of wisdom to counsel us when we pray. David writes, “Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!” And we wait trusting the one who has promised us salvation will see it through.

Prayers
Let’s use Psalm 27:7-9 for our prayer today.

7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!
 8 You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek."
 9 Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help. Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation!
Amen


Thank you so much for using Devotions for Worship, I pray that our time together has blessed you and given you something to meditate on – some reminder of God’s grace to rattle around in your brain – for the rest of the day.

One of the things we can do to help us meditate on God’s word is to memorize it. Psalm 119:11.

Memory Verse: Isaiah 55:6-7 -  "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.” (Isa. 55:6-7 ESV)

Would you do me a favor? If you got something out of this devotional time, would you like and/or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever you do social media? That would help me get the word out, and hopefully help these devotions be a blessing to others.


God bless you!

Comments