October 12, 2017 - Psalm 23

Listen here

Welcome to Devotions for Worship where we meditate on the appointed Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday. Thank you for being with me today.

I am Pastor Eric Tritten from Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Hudson, OH.

This coming Sunday is the 19th Sunday after Pentecost. So far this week the Gospel lesson has presented us with an image of God’s Kingdom as a wedding banquet, the Old Testament described it as eternal life and a banquet of rich food and aged wine, and today we hear of a table prepared for us even the presence of our enemies.

And like our reading from yesterday, this psalm we read today is often associated with funerals, but this psalm also has a strong message for us about God’s protection and provision through our whole lives. If you haven’t guessed already, it is …

Psalm 23 ESV
The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
 (Ps. 23:1-6 ESV)

Read again, slowly

Comments
As I said before this psalm is often associated with funerals. It is almost ubiquitous that it be read at the graveside or as part of the funeral service. This is partly because verse 4 which speaks of, “walking through the valley of the shadow of death,” but it is also because of the great comfort this message gives us.

In light of the other readings we’ve had this week, I think it is worth some time to ponder verse 5, “You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.” Once again we have the image of a generous feast, and while the idea of being anointed with oil might be foreign to us today, the image is that we are guests of honor at the Lord’s table.

The psalm says we are at the Lord’s Table even in the presence of our enemies. This should be understood of both physical and spiritual enemies. We know the Lord provides for us when we face opposition for the faith. Jesus says we are blessed when we are persecuted for his name’s sake. The Lord is with us in those moments and uses our lives (and our deaths) to his glory. And this includes our spiritual enemies; the devil, the world, and our sinful nature. God is not deterred by the things of this life that would lead us into sin, but he overcomes them with his rod and staff and leads us to his table of fellowship and blessing for Christ’s sake.

As you go through the day, remember the Lord is your shepherd. He has prepared a table in the presence of our enemies, and you are His guest of honor.

Prayers
O God, you are our Shepherd and Jesus is the Good Shepherd who laid down his life for us. Everything we have is from you and you continue to tend us, feed us, provide for us, and protect us. Thank you! Thank you for shepherding us through this life and for bringing us to dwell in your house forever. Lord, please forgive us for times when we have become fearful or doubted that your goodness and mercy follow us every day. Guide us through the valley of the shadow of death into the everlasting life you have promised us where we will rest beside still waters and in green pastures with you in peace and joy. Amen.

Thank you so much for using Devotions for Worship, I pray that our time together has blessed you and given you something to meditate on – some reminder of God’s grace to rattle around in your brain – for the rest of the day.

One of the things we can do to help us meditate on God’s word is to memorize it. Psalm 119:11.

Memory Verse: Isaiah 25:9 -  It will be said on that day, "Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation." (Isa. 25:9 ESV)

It has been a couple weeks now since Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico. Please keep the people there in your prayers, and if you are inclined you could donate to help them through LCMS World Relief and Human Care. You can learn more about how to do that at www.lcms.org/disaster.

Would you do me a favor? If you got something out of this devotional time, would you like and/or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever you do social media? That would help me get the word out, and hopefully help these devotions be a blessing to others.


God bless you!

Comments