December 21 - Psalm 89:1-5

Listen here.

Welcome to Devotions for Worship where we meditate on the appointed Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday. I am Pastor Eric Tritten from Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Hudson, OH. Thank you for being with me today.

The psalm for the 4th Sunday of Advent is a psalm of praise. In keeping with our Gospel and Old Testament lesson, you will probably notice that it references God’s promise to David to establish his offspring and build his throne so that it lasts forever. This promise was kept in God’s steadfast love and faithfulness to save us from sin and death, which is definitely something we should praise God for!

There are couple things we should comment on before reading the psalm. First, this psalm is called a maskil, which may be a musical term which my Lutheran Study Bible indicates might mean a skilled or artistic piece. Second, the psalm’s author is Ethan the Ezrahite. This is the only psalm that identifies Ethan as its author, but he is mentioned in 1 Kings 4:31 as very wise man. Lastly, the word selah appears again. Remember that one of the thoughts about this word is that it is an instruction to pause or an interlude to give time to meditate on what had previously been said.

So, let’s take a look at this first part of Psalm 89.

Ps. 89:1–5 (ESV)
A Maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite.
I will sing of the steadfast love of the LORD, forever;
with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.
 2 For I said, "Steadfast love will be built up forever;
in the heavens you will establish your faithfulness."
 3 You have said, "I have made a covenant with my chosen one;
I have sworn to David my servant:
 4 'I will establish your offspring forever,
and build your throne for all generations.'" Selah
 5 Let the heavens praise your wonders, O LORD,
your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones!

Comments
When the psalmist says, “I will sing of the steadfast love of the Lord, forever,” the word that we translate steadfast love is the word chessed in Hebrew. This word is beautiful and rich in meaning. It carries the sense of love, and of loyalty, and commitment, and mercy, and goodness all wrapped up in one word. I like to translate it with the word, “grace.” I will sing of the Lord’s grace, forever. But even that word, in and of itself, falls short of the wonder of God’s steadfast love as we consider our sin, His forgiveness, our rebellion, His determined love, our lack of worthiness, and His insistence on pouring his love out on us.
So we sing of God’s steadfast love, forever. And that includes how He faithfully kept his covenant promise with great David, giving him an even greater son – a greater descendant – who reigns forever. He reigns forever because, while He is David’s heir, Jesus is also the eternal  Son of God.

Ponder the richness of God’s chessed – his steadfast love. Wonder at God’s faithfulness because He has kept His promise to David giving an eternal heir who reigns forever – our Creator and Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

Ps. 89:1–5 (ESV)
A Maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite.
I will sing of the steadfast love of the LORD, forever;
with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.
 2 For I said, "Steadfast love will be built up forever;
in the heavens you will establish your faithfulness."
 3 You have said, "I have made a covenant with my chosen one;
I have sworn to David my servant:
 4 'I will establish your offspring forever,
and build your throne for all generations.'" Selah
 5 Let the heavens praise your wonders, O LORD,
your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones!

Prayers
O God, your steadfast love and faithfulness are worthy of songs and praises in all generations. Thank You for showing us mercy, love, kindness and grace although we have not deserved these things. Thank You for being faithful when we have been faithless. Forgive us for the sake of David’s offspring whom you established forever, who sits on the throne for all generations, our Lord Jesus. Let the heavens praise your wonders, O LORD, let all creation, including us, worship you in the assembly of the holy ones! Amen.

Memory Verse:
Luke 2:1-20

Thank you so much for using Devotions for Worship, I pray that our time together has blessed you and given you something to meditate on – some reminder of God’s grace to rattle around in your brain – for the rest of the day.

I want to remind you to be prayerfully and thoughtfully generous in the giving of alms during this Advent season. Pray that God open your eyes, your heart, and your hand to help others in need.

Another devotional habit we can use to help us meditate on God’s word is memorization.

Would you do me a favor? If you got something out of this devotional time, would you like and/or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever you do social media? That would help me get the word out, and hopefully help these devotions be a blessing to others.



God bless you!

Comments