January 26 - Deuteronomy 18:15-20

Listen here.


Welcome to Devotions for Worship where we meditate on the appointed Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday. I am Pastor Eric Tritten from Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Hudson, OH.
Thank you for being with me today.

The Gospel lesson for the 4th Sunday after Epiphany highlighted that Jesus was one with authority. In our Old Testament lesson, Moses prophesies about a person that God would raise up – a person like him – to whom they were to listen, and to whom we do well to listen also.

The Reading:
Deuteronomy 18:15-20
15 "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brothers-- it is to him you shall listen-- 16 just as you desired of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when you said, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God or see this great fire any more, lest I die.' 17 And the LORD said to me, 'They are right in what they have spoken. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. 19 And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him. 20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.' (Deut. 18:15-20 ESV)

Comments
Deuteronomy is, essentially, Moses’ farewell message to the people of Israel. The Lord was about to lead Israel into the Promised Land, and Moses was not going with them because of his disobedience. God would allow Moses to see the Promised Land from afar, but he would not enter it. It may well be that the last thing that Moses saw in his earthly life was the Promised Land. But even as he says farewell, he says that there will be another who will speak for the Lord with such authority as he himself had.

We believe and know that the prophet that Moses spoke of is Jesus. Jesus spoke authoritatively – God’s Word was in His mouth in a whole new way, because He is God and every word that crossed His lips is therefore God’s Word.

God says that, “whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him.” This is a stern threat and warning. We are to listen to Jesus and to obey him. The people of Jesus’ day were impressed by the authority with which he spoke – authority that even compelled the demonic to depart! I sometimes wonder if we are as impressed with Jesus’ words, or if we have grown too comfortable and casual around holy things. If we have there are two dangers in our informality: one is that we don’t hear God’s commands with their full force, and the second is that we don’t hear God’s comfort with its deep power and consolation.
Let’s meditate on this today: Do we listen to Jesus as we should? Do His words lead us to awe and obedience? And more importantly, do His words lead us to hope and joy in His salvation?

Prayers
Father in Heaven, we thank You for giving Jesus to speak Your Word to us. Forgive us for not listening as we should and for becoming overly casual with holy things. Fill us with You Holy Spirit so that we will be obedient to Your commands even as we joyfully hope in the salvation You have won for us through Jesus’ death and resurrection. Amen.

Memory Verse:
Psalm 111:10 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever! (Ps. 111:10 ESV)

Thank you so much for using Devotions for Worship, I pray that our time together has blessed you and given you something to meditate on – some reminder of God’s grace to rattle around in your brain – for the rest of the day.

Would you do me a favor? If you got something out of this devotional time, would you like and/or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever you do social media? That would help me get the word out, and hopefully help these devotions be a blessing to others.


God bless you!

Comments