April 18 - John 10:11-18

Listen here.


Welcome to Devotions for Worship where we meditate on the appointed Scripture readings for the upcoming Sunday. I am Pastor Eric Tritten from Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Hudson, OH.
Thank you for being with me today.

This Sunday will be the 4th Sunday of the Easter Season. It is also known as Good Shepherd Sunday. This image was one of the favorites of early Christian artists, and it makes sense that these readings became incorporated into the Easter lessons because of the way Jesus talks about laying down his life in order to take it back up again. Every year on the 4th Sunday of Easter we return to this theme and read part of John 10. This year we read verses 11-18. Let’s take a look at it.

The Gospel lesson for the 4th Sunday of Easter is John 10:11-18. (ESV)

The Reading: (Jn. 10:11-18 ESV)
11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."

Comments
Above my desk in my study I have a reprint of a painting that I inherited from my father. He got it from his father, who, in turn, got it from his mother. It is a picture of Jesus as the Good Shepherd. He is surrounded by sheep and holding a lamb in the crook of his right arm. The picture is idyllic, gentle, and peaceful. It is meant to remind us of the peace that we have in Christ and it gives an image of gentle love. I love this picture. However, I am not convinced that it very well portrays what it means for Jesus to be our Good Shepherd.

Jesus says the good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. There doesn’t appear to be any danger in this picture. There are no wolves to chase away a hired hand and snatch and scatter the flock. But in real life there are wolves, aren’t there?

Jesus ministry is all about laying down His life to save the flock. He faces the danger. He takes the risk. He pays the price. And let’s be clear, He is no hapless victim. He boldly and intentionally faces danger and death out of His love for the flock. He does this in His own authority and power. He lays down His life that He may take it up again, because when He lays down his life and takes it back up again that will mean life and salvation for the flock – life and salvation for those whom Jesus loves.

Meditate on this today: While it was the Father’s will for Jesus to give his life, Jesus gave His life to save you of His own accord. What would move Him to do that? It was His love for you. He laid down His life and took it back up again to save you from the wolves of sin, death, and the devil.

Prayers – The Collect for Good Shepherd Sunday from Creative Worship.
Let us pray. Almighty God, merciful Father, since You have wakened from death the Shepherd of Your sheep, grant us Your Holy Spirit that when we hear the voice of our Shepherd we may know Him who calls us each by name and follow where He leads; through the same Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Memory Verse: 1 John 3:23 - And this is His commandment, / that we believe in the name / of His Son Jesus Christ / and love one another, / just as He has commanded us. (1 Jn. 3:23 ESV)

Thank you so much for using Devotions for Worship, I pray that our time together has blessed you and given you something to meditate on – some reminder of God’s grace to rattle around in your brain – for the rest of the day.

Would you do me a favor? If you got something out of this devotional time, would you like and/or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever you do social media? That would help me get the word out, and hopefully help these devotions be a blessing to others.

God bless you!

If you like this please follow by email on Blogger, subscribe on iTunes, or follow on SoundCloud! That way you won't miss a devotion!


Comments