March 22 - Four Things on Friday


March 22, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
I was an early adopter of Facebook. I saw all the upside of being able to communicate through it and to know what is going on in people’s lives. I have made pastoral visits based on Facebook posts. In retrospect, however, I was blind to the downsides of social media – including the theological downsides. Over the years I have noted how my interaction with social media can affect my sense of wellbeing, my love for a neighbor (or the lack thereof), and cause other ill effects. I had never thought about these things from the stance of justification and idolatry. This article argues that instead of looking to God to justify us through Jesus’ death and resurrection, we use social media to justify ourselves through the approval of our “friends.” The title above is the link to the article.

Quote I’m Pondering
We don't have an outreach problem in the U.S. church. We have a discipling problem. Outreach is the one of the *natural outcomes* of being discipled in the ways of Jesus. – Greg Finke

One Good Thing This Week
I visited the Larsons this week and caught up with Dave and Sue. During the conversation, Dave expressed appreciation that my son, Josh, had run out to help Sue walk into church from our parking lot. (She had forgotten her cane.) I am, of course, delighted that Josh helped Sue, but I have seen this kind of thoughtful behavior displayed far more broadly at Gloria Dei. Just this past Wednesday evening after worship I observed this kind of selflessness. A family had provided soup for dinner, but was not able to attend because the wife was ill. Others cleaned up their dishes, packed everything up for them, and even carried it out to their car. It was clear that the kindness was deeply appreciated.

Jesus calls us to love our neighbors, and I find it is often in little actions like these that we can see that love in action. And, yes, it makes me proud of my son, but it also makes me proud of our congregation.

Our Scripture readings for the Third Sunday of Lent are:
Over the years, I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.
The sermon is: Turn!

Comments