March 8 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
March 8, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
Fasting as a Spiritual Discipline
I did not intend to be back to the Art of Manliness podcast so quickly, but this came into my podcast feed yesterday and I found the topic timely as we began the penitential season of Lent this past Wednesday. Father Tom Ryan discusses the physical and spiritual benefits of fasting, comments on the reasons people fast, and gives some practical guidelines for people who want to try it. (Spoiler: It is not that difficult!) In addition, Fr. Ryan commends a weekly fast for Christians. He recommends fasting on Fridays as a reminder of Christ’s death on the cross. You can listen to it here: https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/spiritual-discipline-of-fasting/.

Bible Verse I’m Pondering
“You are dust, and to dust you shall return.” – Genesis 3:19b

One Good Thing This Week
I thought of a handful of good things that I might share with you this week, from the Ash Wednesday services to the Middle School Youth Gathering. There is, however, one good thing that dominates my radar screen this week: This Sunday we will be officially welcoming about 40 new members at Gloria Dei. I am thankful to God for our health as a congregation, our love for our neighbor, and the desire of these people to be part of the fellowship that gathers as Gloria Dei to receive God’s Word and Sacraments. I hope you will be there on Sunday to welcome these new members and to join in the potluck afterward to get to know some of them. It will be a great time to celebrate God’s work in our midst.

Our Scripture readings for the First Sunday of Lent are:
Over the years, I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.


During the season of Lent the Sermons will focus on the Old Testament readings.

The sermon is: You Shall Rejoice!


Comments