April 29 - John 21:1-19



There are forty days between Jesus’ resurrection and his ascension back into heaven. During that time Jesus appeared to people, taught them, comforted them, and prepared them for the mission. He was not, however, always with the disciples as he was before the resurrection.

This account finds seven of the apostles seemingly not quite knowing what to do with themselves. In Peter’s case this might be because he doesn’t know where he stands with the Lord. He had denied Jesus. He had sworn that he was not Jesus’ disciple, and that after very proudly proclaiming that he would never deny the Lord. His failure was shattering. He needed to be reaffirmed, reinstated. That is what Jesus did.

Just as Peter had denied Jesus three times, Jesus now asks Peter three times, “Do you love me?” It is actually a little more nuanced than that because Greek has different words for different kinds of love.

Jesus asks, “Do you love me?” meaning, “Do you love me and want God’s good for me in my life?” (This is an oversimplification of the deep concept of Christian love.)

Peter replies, “I love you like a brother!”

“Feed my lambs.”

“Do you love me?” again meaning, “Do you love me and want God’s good for me in my life?”

Again, “I love you like brother!”

“Shepherd my sheep.”

Then Jesus says, “Peter, do you love me like a brother?”

Do you see what Jesus did there? He didn’t just ask the question three times, negating the three denials. He moved from a broad but potent sense of love to a closer more familial love – which was the kind of love Peter was claiming all along, but of which he fell far short.

How do we love Jesus? Have we really thought through what it means to want God’s good in someone’s life? After all, this is the kind of love mentioned when it says that God so loved the world he gave his only Son. I’m sure we will all find that we fall far short of loving Jesus and our neighbors as we should, but Jesus never falls short of loving us.

Lord Jesus, thank you for showing us how you loved your disciples; especially Peter after he denied you. We fall short of your love all the time, yet you never falter in loving us. Forgive us. Work in our hearts to help us love you and love our neighbors as we ought. In your name we pray. Amen.

Comments