June 28 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
June 28, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
I did my vicarage in Leavenworth, KS. In the year internship I had the opportunity to do evangelism in three different prisons. It was a powerful experience. In prison, people’s sin and brokenness are on display in a powerful way, and that made sharing Jesus’ death and resurrection for the forgiveness of sins all the more potent.

In addition to that, I’ve been pondering the question we ask in the confirmation rite, “Do you intend to continue steadfast in this confession and Church and to suffer all, even death, rather than fall away from it?” I sometimes wonder how willing I really am to suffer anything for Jesus’ sake. I fear that we Christians have become rather thin skinned and risk-adverse.

Anyway, this article is a powerful example of the transformation Jesus makes in people’s lives.

Quote I’m Pondering
“Do you intend to continue steadfast in this confession and Church and to suffer all, even death, rather than fall away from it?”

One Good Thing This Week
I always enjoy reporting on progress with the building program. As I write this, there is an obnoxious odor of gasoline and the noise of small motors as a crew is doing landscape work right outside my window. The church grounds should look a lot nicer when they are done.

Our Scripture readings for the 3rd Sunday after Pentecost are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: Count the Cost

Comments