August 23 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
August 23, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
This past Sunday I preached about Baptism and the work God does in our lives through baptism. After the service, I spoke with a grandparent who was frustrated that his grandchildren had not been baptized. It’s not the first time that I’ve had that conversation. I suspect it won’t be the last. I thought, however, that this article adds an interesting dimension to that conversation – that of the image of the church into which the child is baptized.
  
Quote I’m Pondering
“In the Old Testament, most of our motivation for ethics, for virtue, was not primarily fear of punishment and hope of reward. Not in the Old Testament. Most of that is: When your ancestors remember you are you part of the good story?” – Jeff Mallinson, Virtue in the Wasteland, Oct. 2, 2013

One Good Thing This Week
Today the Preschool Teachers and Board are hosting a baby shower for Megan Pollack our Preschool Director. Over the years I have seen the congregation surround people in their times of sorrow. Today we get to rejoice with the Pollacks and support them as they prepare to welcome twins to their home.

Our Scripture readings for the 11th Sunday after Pentecost are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: The Art of Living By Faith: Turn!

Comments