August 9 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
August 9, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
This article really touched me in a couple of ways. For those who don’t know Sean Astin, he is an actor who starred in movies like The Goonies, Rudy, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Samwise Gamgee is, in my opinion, the hero of the story!), and recently, Stranger Things 2. I think he’s pretty great, and I’ve been inspired by some of the characters he has played. I only learned recently that he is a runner, which is pretty cool. Astin is also the same age as I am, and struggles with his weight as I do. I feel a bit of a connection him on these levels. Also, I heard a rumor that he’s a Lutheran. So there’s that!

Bible Verse I’m Pondering
… pray without ceasing … - 1 Thessalonians 5:17

One Good Thing This Week
I received a phone call from Dr. John Dieffenthaller this week. Dieffenthaller was a professor at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and, later, a district president, so my first thought was, “Why is he calling me?” He has taken a new position as a representative for Lutheran World Relief (LWR), and it was in that capacity that he was calling. When he took the job he asked for a list of the top sixty LCMS congregation in donations to LWR. Gloria Dei is on that list. I am proud of our congregation and our generosity. We are making a difference in the world and a difference in the Kingdom of God as we support ministries like LWR who meet people in their physical needs and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them.

Our Scripture readings for the 9th Sunday after Pentecost are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service. We are stepping out of the appointed readings across the summer to focus on some issues related to The Art of Living by Faith. We will, however, returned to our regularly scheduled readings in September.

The sermon is: The Art of Living By Faith: The Cry of Faith

Comments