October 18 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
October 18, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
Ryan Tinetti is the pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church, Arcadia, MI. He recently earned his doctorate from Duke Divinity School studying homiletics (preaching) and rhetoric. Back in the day, he was a member of my youth group in Lake Orion, MI. I love the title of his newsletter/blog, “Inklings of Arcadia from Pastor T,” because it makes a nice double entendre pointing to his love of literature and his thoughtfulness. That being said, I always do a double take when I see the “Pastor T” part, because that’s what the kids called me. This article, The Great Transmission, hits an important topic regarding our preferences in our mission work. Pr. Tinetti’s thoughts help to clarify tension behind focusing outward in mission and focusing inward in mission.

Quote I’m Pondering
“[T]ransmitting the faith tends to be regarded as second-rate ministry, whereas propagating it is seen as more urgent – if not more faithful.” – Rev. Dr. Ryan Tinetti

One Good Thing This Week
I arrived at church this morning to find the construction crew meeting with a representative of Hudson. This was the last hurdle before we could get our permits and get to work on building.

There are more pieces of heavy equipment in the yard.

Monday – work begins!

I am excited to see how God will use this construction process to bless us and bless our community!

Our Scripture readings for the 19th Sunday after Pentecost are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: Wrestling With God

Comments