December 20 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
December 20, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
This is part of a Christmas sermon that Luther preached in 1521 or 1522. It was originally published in English by Lutherans in All Lands Press, but it is now part of the public domain. As I said, it is part of a sermon, and in this part Luther re-tells the Christmas story. If you would like to read the whole message, there is a link at the bottom of the page to the full text.

Quote I’m Pondering
These are the two things in which a Christian is to exercise himself, the one that he draws Christ into himself, and that by faith he makes him his own, appropriates to himself the treasures of Christ and confidently builds upon them; the other that he condescends to his neighbor and lets him share in that which he has received, even as he shares in the treasures of Christ. – Martin Luther, The Story of the Birth of Jesus; and the Angels’ Song, paragraph 33.

One Good Thing This Week
The good thing I would share with you this week is Key of Hope. Key of Hope is a ministry from Durban, South Africa that was started by a family, the Smithers, that I know through my ministry in Michigan. I am inspired by Dan and Rachel Smither because they sensed God’s call to work with orphans of the AIDS epidemic in one of the hardest communities in South Africa, and they went. I am in awe of the difference they make in the lives of the children in the slums of Durban – or perhaps better said, the difference God makes through them.

In all honesty, I was not thrilled to get the call that they needed a place to stay. I was frustrated with the last minute nature of their request and the timing. (Why can’t people be more considerate in scheduling their crises?) But I was convinced it was the right thing – the loving thing – to help a friend, a partner in ministry, and to show hospitality to these brothers and sisters in Christ. The concert was wonderful, and I hope and pray that all who attended were blessed.

It was not just the Smithers and the choir, however, that make this event a good thing. It was also the families who hosted the choir, the people who donated food, and those who set up, cleaned up, put a story in the newspaper, and more.

I like to think about what qualities I want our congregation to exemplify. Often I think about things like devotion, commitment to God’s Word and prayer, and worship style. I also think about things like hospitality, flexibility, compassion, and commitment to the saints. I think we displayed those qualities well this week, and I thank God for Gloria Dei’s kind and generous spirit.

Our Scripture readings for the Fourth Sunday of Advent are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

Comments