December 27 - Four Thing on Friday

Four Things on Friday
December 27, 2019 – The Feast of St. John the Evangelist 

An Interesting Podcast
Some time ago, I was listening to NPR when I heard an interview with the creator of an app called Story Corps. The idea is that everyday people use their cell phones to interview other everyday people. I thought it would be pretty cool to do this with my dad. I knew he was dying and I wanted to save a bit of his story. (If you listen, you will hear that I had more questions, and we planned to do another interview.) Dad shares some of his life experiences growing up, talks about my mom, and generally dispenses his wisdom. 

Quote I’m Pondering
“God is in the manger, wealth in poverty, light in darkness, succor in abandonment. No evil can befall us; whatever men may do to us, they cannot but serve the God who is secretly revealed as love and rules the world and our lives.” – Bonhoeffer

One Good Thing This Week
Christmas is a good thing! It is the Feast that opens the Festival. This whole time between December 25 and January 6 is time to celebrate Jesus’ birth. I will, however, share one bit of goodness from our Christmas Eve services. 

There was a lady from West Virginia who worshipped with us. This Christmas Eve was the first anniversary of her husband’s death. Her family had gone off to do their own thing, leaving her to figure out how to find the church and come alone. She was very moved by the worship service and comforted by the message, “Fear Not!” As I greeted people at the door she shook my hand and told me that the service was helpful for her. She paused a little awkwardly and asked, “Can I hug you?” To which I responded, “Of course!” and hugged her. 

Our Scripture readings for the First Sunday of Christmas are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service. (Sorry, no hyperlinks this week. I’m working from my iPad, and I haven’t figured out how to do that. You’ll have to look them up old school style.”)

Matthew 2:13-23
Isaiah 63:7-14
Galatians 4:4-7
Psalm 111
The sermon is: God’s Crazy Fulfillments by Pastor Emeritus Ron Duer

Comments