January 10 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
January 10, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast

Immigration is an important topic in our national dialogue. The staff and I are going to read through this document and its study guide. (You can get the guide here.) Too often Christians have responded to this topic from a political bent; this document goes at it from a biblical and theological view. The read is dense, but it is an important matter to chew on with a lot of nuance.

I should point out that this document is not an official position of the LCMS. It is a resource intended to help us think about the challenging issues surrounding immigration.

Quote I’m Pondering
“Slow and steady wins the race.” I picked up this little gem from my dad, but I do not know who said it first. We found mold in our kitchen cupboards and walls related to our hot-water heater dying a while back and leak in an upstairs bathroom. I have torn everything out, and we are in the process of rebuilding with the help from some of the members at church. However, we have been without a proper kitchen for a couple months. It is getting old.

One Good Thing This Week
We have had significant progress with the building this week. The steel arrived and walls are being assembled even as I write this. The progress is truly impressive. We have also received our permit to dig the sewer line. I hope that this is our last bureaucratic hurdle. Work should begin on that Monday morning.

Our Scripture readings for the Transfiguration of Our Lord are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: “Do You Come to Me?”

Comments