January 24 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
January 24, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
Scott Keith is the Executive Director of 1517, an organization that I respect highly enough that I financially support them. He is also a professor at Concordia University, Irvine. He thinks a lot about relationships among men; fathers and sons, mentoring, friendships, and the need to walk with someone. This article is an excerpt from his book, “Where Two or Three Are Gathered.” I have not read the book, but I have been thinking about how men connect with one another, partly because I have read the statistics on male loneliness and seen the disconnect of men from the church, and, honestly, partly because I am a man and there is some self-reflection dealing with these issues.

Quote I’m Pondering
“Awww, you choked!” – several of the guys at the bar when I missed a very easy shot on the Eight Ball. It is not the words themselves that I am thinking about, but the tone and the demeanor behind them. It was fun. There was competitive sympathy and a sense of shared experience. There was also acceptance and a feeling of being one of the guys. I have felt a little squeamish about the Men’s Ministry meeting at bars, but that moment reinforced that this activity is good.

One Good Thing This Week
Since I’m on a Men’s Ministry roll, I’ll stick with it. We had about sixteen guys at Brubaker’s Pub this past Wednesday. It was good seeing men get to know each other and making new connections – which I hope are growing friendships. But one of the things that struck me was that there were a couple gentlemen there who are battling some serious diseases. I observed them talking, laughing, and enjoying life. They were with their brothers in Christ enjoying the camaraderie. It struck me that this is a really important part of life together, where faith and hope are displayed in our interactions, and in the face of our bodies breaking down celebrating the life we have. St. Paul said, “To live is Christ, but to die is gain” (Phil 1:21). We often focus on the dying and gaining part, but if to live is Christ, than living is a good thing.

I was also impressed that when I cashed out for the evening, the server told me that she hopes that we will come again. “You could come here every Wednesday!” is what she actually said. I know that part of that was that we spent some money, but I also got the impression that we were a different kind of clientele, and she enjoyed us. Imagine that: a bunch of Christian guys leaving a young lady at the bar with the impressing that maybe they’re okay! Maybe from there she might think that Jesus is okay. Stranger things have happened.   

Our Scripture readings for the Third Sunday after the Epiphany are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is:

Comments