January 31 - Four Things on Friday



Four Things on Friday
January 31, 2019

An Interesting Article/Podcast
This episode is ridiculously long. That’s not to deter you from listening to it, but you might want to listen while you are knocking out a list of chores or something. There is a brief introductory article on the web page, however, that will be helpful for the One Good Thing This Week section of this edition of Four Things on Friday.

Protect Your Noggin is a joint effort of Jeff and Stacie Mallinson. I have referenced Jeff several times in this little publication. I learned about him through the National Youth Gathering. Since then, I have been listening and reading a lot of his material. (Chris got me his book for Christmas. She is pretty amazing that way!) I like how the Mallinsons tackle difficult topics and refuse to offer pat answers.

At the end of every Protect Your Noggin podcast Stacie wishes the listeners, “Peace upon peace.” The first time I heard her say that, I thought it was kind of hokey, but the more I’ve listened to the Mallinsons and thought about their message, it strikes me that peace is something that many of us lack sorely in this life. At the same time, it is something that Jesus promises us, and I have begun praying for peace as I pray for myself, my family, and our congregation. I find myself taking comfort in those words.

Quotes I’m Pondering
“Grace isn’t just a theological concept. It’s something that reorients our relationships.” – Jeff Mallinson, Sexy: The Quest for Erotic Virtue in Perplexing Times

“Peace upon peace!” – Stacie Mallinson, at the end of every episode of Protect Your Noggin

One Good Thing This Week
I got published!

After I listened to the podcast above, I was ruminating on the topic and I wrote a poem on the topic. It’s not a happy rhyming poem, but Molech isn’t a happy subject to think about. I shared it with the Mallinsons and Jeff replied to me saying that he wanted to publish it on their website. Here is a link: https://www.protectyournoggin.org/articles/molech-and-christ-poem

I’m pretty excited about this. I write a lot, but it is mostly seen in-house – if it is seen at all. It is thrilling and humbling to think that something that I wrote which is both theological and artistic was considered worthy of sharing with a larger audience.

Our Scripture readings for the Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.


The sermon is: To Fulfill the Law

Comments