February 14 - Four Things on Friday

Four Things on Friday
February 14, 2020

An Interesting Podcast
I’m returning to Malinson and VanVoorhis because this is another episode with Dr. Kristen Koenig. This episode was recorded in 2015 around the time the movie, 50 Shades of Grey, came out. Hence the title. While the conversation between the three professors is humorous, there are important insights here about love, relationships, and transaction. 

Happy Valentine’s Day! (Or as I call it to mess with my kids, Decapitation Day for a Priest Named Valentine.)

Quote I’m Pondering
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose      
By any other name would smell as sweet;         
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,     
Retain that dear perfection which he owes               
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;         
And for that name, which is no part of thee,      
Take all myself. 
-        The Bard

One Good Thing This Week
Our deaconess, Esther Williamson, sends a copy of the bulletin each week to our shut-ins, along with a personal note. (Have I ever mentioned that she’s amazing?) This week I visited one of those shut-in members and saw the bulletin sitting on his table. He told me that every morning he reads the bulletin and has a personal worship service. He struggles to speak, but he said he, “sings the hymns in my mind.” Then he reads the meditation from Portals of Prayer, and reads a chapter from the Bible. Knowing his limitations, I suspect none of this is easy for him. I was moved by his love for God’s Word, worship, and this small connection to the congregation. I couldn’t help but feel a little pang of guilt for feeling so free to skip that time listening to Jesus and being with the One who loves me enough to die in my place. 

Our Scripture readings for the Sixth Sunday after the Epiphany are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service. 

The sermon is: Preach It Jesus! Pt. 2

Bonus: we’re going to baptize a new member on Sunday!

Comments