February 21 - Four Things on Friday - The First Anniversary!


Four Things on Friday
February 21, 2020

Happy anniversary! I looked back in my files and realized that I published the first edition of Four Things on Friday on February 22, 2019.

An Interesting Article
I’m not sure how I ran across this article. There were a couple things that grabbed my attention as I read it, however. First, where we would often find a subtitle or the name of an author the article says, “By a scientist.” It this case the scientist in question is Thomas Merritt, a professor and the Canada Research Chair of chemistry and biochemistry at Laurentian University, which is in Ontario. What I find interesting is that by labeling the article, “By a scientist,” could be taken a few different ways. One is that a scientist might have a unique and interesting view on a topic which would be interesting to read. I think that is the way that it is used here – Merritt looks at coffee from a different perspective that I normally would, and I found it interesting. Another what that statement could be understood is that, because a scientist wrote the article, there is authority and veracity in it and therefore we must accept the message presented. I have observed that the sciences have become, in some ways, the authority that determines truth in our culture. In some cases this is almost religious, and the scientist becomes the modern priest who declares truths from on high. I don’t think that is what Merritt is doing in this article, but when I read, “By a scientist,” I asked the old Lutheran question, “What does this mean?”

The other part of the article that grabbed my attention is the use of the word, “maybe.” Many articles tout health benefits or detriments from coffee. Merritt gives it all a really solid, “maybe.” He lets evidence that is inconclusive be inconclusive. I appreciated that.

There was another aspect on this topic – a potential benefit of coffee – that I wondered about as I read the article that is outside the scope of Merritt’s effort. I wondered about the benefits of drinking coffee together. Put differently, I wondered about the potential benefits of meeting for coffee as a form of fellowship and friendship, and the benefits that might flow from slowing down to caffeinate together.

Quote I’m Pondering
“For godly grief produces/works repentance into salvation without regret, but worldly grief produces/works death.” – The Holy Spirit through St. Paul, 2 Corinthians 7:10. As part of my devotions, I have been reading the New Testament in Greek. When I hit this passage I had to stop and ponder what it says, and it keeps ringing through my mind. How great is God’s grace that it can wipe away our regret? Amazing!

One Good Thing This Week
We baptized an adult this past Sunday! In our Lutheran circles, we are used to baptizing babies, so an adult baptism tends to be viewed as rather special. I believe the church has always baptized infants, and if you want, we could discuss the evidence behind that belief. However, in the early church there were many adult baptisms, because people were coming to faith, becoming disciples of Jesus, and Baptism is one of the gifts God gives us that makes us disciples.

There is no argument that the landscape of how our culture approaches issues of faith has changed. What I have begun to wonder is if we will begin to see more adult baptisms in the future, and if this will become more normal as folks who grew up not believing in Jesus, come to believe in Him as their Lord and Savior.

Our Scripture readings for the Transfiguration of Our Lord are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: Listen to the Son

Comments