February 28 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
February 28, 2020

An Interesting Article
I don’t remember where I found this article. The page has been open on my phone for a long time, holding this space as something I wanted to read later. I often hear, even at Gloria Dei, the opinion that we need to draw more young people. The church, at least in my lifetime, has seemed to gravitate toward the youth. (I’ve had youth-led worship services, but I’ve never even heard of elder-led worship services.) There is a fascination with youth, and there may even be a sort of idolatry of youthfulness. Some of the efforts of Silicon Valley toward reversing aging and even uploading our minds into a cyber-world are modern day efforts to cheat death and remain, as Rod Stewart sang, “Forever Young.”

Ministry to the elderly has been a point of conversation for a while. We have a couple ministries that stand out in this area: Esther’s worship service at the Elms, and Bob’s Bible study at Laurel Lake. There are other opportunities. I hope that, with the new building, we will be able to create more intergenerational opportunities. The article speaks of the benefit of wisdom given from the elderly to the young, but I have often noticed that the young offer joy and vitality to the elderly.

Quote I’m Pondering
“Do you want to be uploaded to a PC or a Mac?” – Jeff Mallinson to Dr. Joel Oesch, and expert on transhumanism – the name given to the movement to reverse aging and use technology to live longer, if not forever.  

One Good Thing This Week
This past Wednesday was Ash Wednesday and it was very full. We held a memorial service for Dolores Kliever and had two services with the Imposition of Ashes and Holy Communion. It was a full day, but there was a lot of good in it. Before Dolores’s memorial I was reflecting on the members who had remained connected to her (and her husband Ed) and supported her after she became a “shut-in.” I was moved by the love and care that our congregation displayed to her. Later in the day, at the evening worship service, we had a medical emergency. Once again I saw love and care displayed for a member in need as people moved quickly to help. (God be praised, that, after a visit to the emergency room, she was alright!)

Sometimes good things are bright spots in the midst of sadder, darker, scarier things. When we love one another as we age, as our bodies break down, and when we find ourselves in need of help that is, indeed, a good thing.

Our Scripture readings for the First Sunday in Lent are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: “It Is Written”

Comments