February 7 - Four Things on Friday

Four Things on Friday
February 7, 2020

An Interesting Article/Podcast
Chad Bird used to be a professor at Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, IN. He has a very creative way of expressing God’s grace. I especially appreciated this article because I like fishing and I love the way it speaks of God’s expansive inclusion of the Gentile outsiders into his kingdom.

Quote I’m Pondering
“Christians should exercise civility when dealing with one another in matters that pertain to the state of the civil law lest their speech becomes a cause for division and strife within the church.” – Commission on Theology and Church Relations document, Immigrants Among Us. I have been very disappointed with some of the conversation that I’ve seen on social media and in the news as Christians discuss politics. I felt this quote was pertinent on a variety of levels; not just for the conversation about immigration.

One Good Thing This Week
We celebrated the 10th Anniversary of Rejoicing Spirits!

I am always touched by the way the Rejoicers’ (which is what we call the folks with developmental delays and other needs for whom the service is designed) families are so appreciative of that worship service. I sometimes worry that because the service is so predictable in its flow that people will feel like we are just going through the motions. But this worship service means a lot to them. It hit me this week that, for some of the Rejoicers’ families, this might be the one time they get to go to comfortably rest in God’s house together and worship in their own way.

I am so thankful that Nora Faul, along with Pastor and Ruth Koenig, got this ministry started a decade ago. It has given us a really unique and needed way to share the love of Jesus with people who are often treated as “the least of these.”

Later in the week, I had a conversation with a mom of a little boy who has autism. I told her about Rejoicing Spirits. I was surprised when tears came to her eyes. She said she thought it was wonderful that we have this ministry. Then she said, “You don’t know how lonely it is being a parent of a child with special needs.”

This is a really important – good! – ministry. I’ve always known that. It was really driven home to me this week, and I am thankful.

Our Scripture readings for the Fifth Sunday after the Epiphany are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: Preach It, Jesus! Part 1

Comments