March 13 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
March 13, 2020

An Interesting Podcast
We’ve been dealing with a lot of doom and gloom this week, so I thought I would share something fun. Jason Weiser retells fairy tales, myths, legends, fables, and great stories from all over the world. He researches and repackages them for a modern hearer while trying to remain true to the original storyline. I really enjoy this podcast. Additionally, I thought that if we do end up shut in, there are hours and hours of stories to listen to here.

The episode I’ve chosen to share is the story of Tatterhood. It is unexpected, engaging, and has a surprisingly feminine twist. I hope you enjoy it!

Quote I’m Pondering
“In this world you will have trouble. Take heart; I have overcome the world.” – Jesus, John 16:33 (paraphrased)

One Good Thing This Week
This year I gave up wearing earbuds while I work out for Lent. I like to “multitask” while I run or exercise at the gym by listening to podcasts. However, if I have earbuds in I do not interact with the people around me, and, honestly, sometimes I get a little annoyed by the “interruption” of a conversation in the middle of my thinking. The first week was rough, but I ended up getting into a couple conversations, and it was good. This week I had some more conversations. And today I got into four. The first was with Jim Dagley, but the next was with a man who overheard us. This man was very nervous about the coronavirus and feeling anxious. He told me that he was a believer, and as part of our conversation I said that even if everything goes wrong and we die from this, we know we will go to be with Jesus. He responded, “Well, maybe.” Then I had the opportunity to share the Gospel with this guy right there in the gym – and who knows who else overheard! My third conversation was with a friend who wanted to know all about our expansion. The fourth was with a man who leads a ministry in Kent. His son and mine are on the volleyball team at Stow. We started there because their season has been postponed and we’re wondering if they’ll even get to play, but it morphed into his fears and concerns. I told him about sharing the Gospel in that earlier conversation. He got tears in his eyes and spoke passionately about the opportunity to share Jesus with our neighbors during difficult times.

I’d love to say that all this happened because I’m so cool, but the fact is that I’m not. God is good and He uses our lives, our hurts, our pains, our fears – maybe especially our hurts and fears – as opportunities to show His love and grace to us. I hope he gives you similar opportunities to share your hope and faith in Jesus.

Our Scripture readings for the Third Sunday in Lent are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: “Everything I Ever Did”

Comments