April 11 - Evening Devotion


You can listen to this devotion here.
Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
[God] has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Heb. 13:5 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
Heavenly Father, I am silenced at the grave of Your Son, who knew no sin, yet was made sin for us. You permitted Him to die, exchanging His innocence for our guilt. In love he came to us, but He was rejected by hate. He taught us obedience, but humanity rebelled against Him.

I confess that a great mystery confronts me at this tomb of sin and death. He was buried behind the great seal of my sin and my death. By faith I know also that He who died is the One who unlocked the great secret of Your love. His tomb is my tomb. He carried with Him to the grave my sin and my death, that He might break their hold on me.

Trusting the Lord’s promise that He would rise again on the third day, I come not to mourn Him but to confess the sin that He would leave buried. Have mercy on me, O God! Have mercy on us all. Amen.[1]

Catechism Reflections
The Fifth Petition of the Lord’s Prayer
And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
What does this mean?
We pray in this petition that our Father in heaven would not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that He would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. So we too will sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
“But deliver us from evil.”
Dear Father, please rescue us from every evil of body and soul, possessions and reputation, and finally, when our last hour comes, give us a blessed end, and graciously take us from this valley of sorrow to heaven, where we will live eternally with You, and with Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, One God, now and forever. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Ps. 23:6 ESV)



[1] Lutheran Prayer Book, Prayer for Saturday of Holy Week with minor modifications, Concordia Publishing House, 2005

Comments