April 28: Evening Devotion



Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. – Psalm 119:105

Prayer of Confession
Father in Heaven, the sun sets in the west, and as the darkness settles upon the face of the earth my thoughts turn to you. I cannot stop the darkness from coming, and I have shown myself equally incapable of keeping myself from sin. I return to you in repentance, sorrowful that I must once again confess that in my sin I have dishonored your name and shown myself unworthy of your love. Yet you promise that you love me, and proved that love by giving your Son, Jesus, to suffer and die for me. And in baptism you have placed your name upon me, sealing me in Jesus’ death with the promise of a resurrection like his. Let that hope make me bold to confess my sins before you, trusting that you know them all and more besides, and that your love does not waver, nor does your forgiveness run out. Comfort me by your Spirit as he declares me to be holy in your sight. Let no guilt, no trouble of the day, no evil thought or dream, trouble my sleep for I am yours and my hope is in you, my defender and savior. Amen.

Catechism Reflections
The Sacrament of the Altar
What is the benefit of this eating and drinking?
The words, “Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins,” show us that in the Sacrament forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation are given us through these words. For where there is forgiveness of sins, there is also life and salvation.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Third Petition of the Lord’s Prayer - “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
O God, Your will is done even without our prayers, but we pray that it may be done among us also. Please break and hinder every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful nature, which do not want us to hallow Your name or let Your kingdom come. Strengthen and keep us firm in Your Word and faith until we die. Let Your good and gracious will be done. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. (Rom. 15:13 ESV)


Comments