April 3 - Four Things on Friday


Four Things on Friday
April 3, 2020

Please excuse my absence over the last two weeks. This pandemic has hit us in ways that we may not have expected, but there are still interesting podcasts, quotes Worthing thinking about, and good things happening in the world and at Gloria Dei!

An Interesting Podcast
This is a website and not a podcast. You cannot listen to episodes or particular songs on demand, but this online radio station plays sacred music, hymns and traditional pieces such as we might hear and sing in church. I have trouble concentrating if music has lyrics, so I don’t usually listen to this at work. My wife likes to listen to LPR as she works around the house. I find the familiarity and the message of the hymns comforting, and that is pretty valuable these days! Another bonus, the music follows the seasons of the church year. They will have special programming through Holy Week.

Quote I’m Pondering
“Do unto others … As you would have them do unto you. Protect our community as if your life depended on it. Stay home. Slow the spread of coronavirus now. Flatten the curve.” – Ohio Department of Health placard. I was surprised to see the Scriptural quote, but also note that much of the concern regarding large groups has focused on churches. I think this is a good appeal to Christians to consider how we will respond to the threat of this disease for our neighbors’ sakes.

One Good Thing This Week
Technology.

I am amazed at how blessed we are to be able to use technology to stay in contact with people. Beyond offering our worship services and making announcements online, Bob has taught several classes using Zoom, and we’ve had a few meetings using this technology. I’ve been contacted by several people who have told me how much they appreciate the ability to see one another that this platform provides.

I am concerned that there are folks who are falling through the cracks. Some of our members don’t have email and other technology that would allow them to avail themselves of these opportunities. I would urge anyone who is willing to write letters to some of our shut-ins to please contact the church at office@gloriadeihudson.org to get names and addresses. You can offer a word of hope. Of course, there are others in the community you may know who would benefit from a letter. Perhaps this is a good time to drop them a note.

Our Scripture readings for Palm Sunday are:
Over the years I have learned that those who read the Scripture lessons and spend a little time thinking about them before church on Sunday get more out of the service.

The sermon is: Lazarus Was Dead

Comments