April 30: Evening Devotion




Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
For You, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth. Upon You I have leaned from before my birth; You are He who took me from my mother’s womb. – Psalm 71:5-6

Prayer of Confession
Father in heaven, as I approach the end of this day, I pray that you would calm my heart and mind and meet me in this brief time that I pause for prayer. Let my thoughts this night explore the day to see your blessings and your grace. When sins of the day come to mind, set me at peace in your forgiveness. Make me aware of your blessings and mercies of the day to move my heart to gratitude. Please use this time hearing your Word to strengthen my faith and to give me deeper insight into the mysteries of Christ – the righteous one who died for sinners, the immortal one who became mortal for my sake, the Lord of life and death who died for me – that I might rest in him with peace to await the new day with confidence that your blessings are new every morning. Amen.

Catechism Reflections
The Sacrament of the Altar
Who receives this sacrament worthily?
Fasting and bodily preparation are certainly fine outward training. But that person is truly worthy and well prepared who has faith in these words: “Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins.”
But anyone who does not believe these words or doubts them is unworthy and unprepared, for the words, “for you” require all hearts to believe.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Fifth Petition of the Lord’s Prayer - “And forgive us our trespasses and we forgive those who trespass against us.”
Heavenly Father, do not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that You would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. But you have given Your Son, our Savior, Jesus to bear our sins in His body on the cross and given us forgiveness for His sake. For Jesus’ sake help us to sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (1 Tim. 1:17 ESV)

Comments