April 4 - Evening Devotion


You can listen to this devotion here.
Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
[God] has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Heb. 13:5 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
Lord Jesus, think on me
And purge away my sin;
From worldly passion set me free
And make me pure within.

Lord Jesus, think on me
By anxious thoughts oppressed;
Let me Your loving servant be
And taste Your promised rest.

Lord Jesus, think on me
Amid the battle’s strife;
In all my pain and misery,
O be my health and life!

Lord Jesus, think on me,
Nor let me go astray;
Through darkness and perplexity
Point out Your chosen way.

Lord Jesus, think on me
That, when this life is past,
I may the’ternal brightness see
And share Your joy at last. Amen.[1]

Catechism Reflections
The Third Article of the Apostles’ Creed
Sanctification
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
What does this mean? I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith.

In the same way He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith.

In this Christian church He daily and richly forgives all my sins and the sins of all believers.

On the Last Day He will raise me and all the dead, and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ.

This is most certainly true.


Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
“But deliver us from evil.”
Dear Father, please rescue us from every evil of body and soul, possessions and reputation, and finally, when our last hour comes, give us a blessed end, and graciously take us from this valley of sorrow to heaven, where will live eternally with You, and with Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, One God, now and forever. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Ps. 23:6 ESV)




[1] Sysenius of Cyrene, Lord Jesus, Think on Me, Lutheran Service Book 610, public domain

Comments