April 9 - Evening Devotion


You can listen to this devotion here.
Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace! (Ps. 29:11 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
Eternal Savior, how can my heart show its appreciation of Your love? How can I serve You best, who has loved me and given Your life for me? You have sealed to me the forgiveness of all my sins and offered me reconciliation and peace in the blessed Sacrament of Holy Baptism.

O Savior, cast me not away from Your presence. Let not my sins remain with me because of impenitence of heart or because I doubt Your Word and promises. Make me Yours, and give me strength to amend my sinful life and walk closer to You.

Preserve Your Church, Your people, Your place where You deliver the Gospel of Your salvation through the Word and Sacraments, that Your name be glorified, Your will be done, and we at last live with You in Your eternal kingdom forevermore. Amen.[1]

Catechism Reflections
The Third Petition of the Lord’s Prayer
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
What does this mean?
The good and gracious will of God is done even without our prayer, but we pray in this petition that it may be done among us also.
How is God’s will done?
God’s will is done when He breaks and hinders every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful nature, which do not want us to hallow God’s name or let His kingdom come; and when He strengthens and keeps us firm in His Word and faith until we die. This is His good and gracious will.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
“And forgive us our trespasses and we forgive those who trespass against us.”
Heavenly Father, do not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that You would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. But you have given Your Son, our Savior, Jesus to bear our sins in His body on the cross and given us forgiveness for His sake. For Jesus’ sake help us to sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (1 Tim. 1:17 ESV)



[1] Adapted from the Maundy Thursday prayer in Lutheran Prayer Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2005

Comments