April 2 - Evening Devotion


You can listen to this devotion here
Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace! (Ps. 29:11 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
Oh, how great is Your compassion,
Faithful Father, God of Grace,
That with all our fallen race
In our depth of degradation
You had mercy so that we
Might be saved eternally!

Lord, Your mercy will not leave me;
Ever will Your truth abide.
Then in You I will confide.
Since Your Word cannot deceive me,
My salvation is to me
Safe and sure eternally. Amen.[1]

Catechism Reflections
The First Article of the Apostles’ Creed
Creation
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Make of heaven and earth.
What does this mean? I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them.

He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life.

He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil.

All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him.

This is most certainly true.


Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
“And forgive us our trespasses and we forgive those who trespass against us.”
Heavenly Father, do not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that You would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. But you have given Your Son, our Savior, Jesus to bear our sins in His body on the cross and given us forgiveness for His sake. For Jesus’ sake help us to sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (1 Tim. 1:17 ESV)



[1] Olearius, Johann, Oh, How Great Is Your Compassion, Lutheran Service Book 559, public domain

Comments