May 10: A Sermon Wrongly Titled "A Saint Named Stephen"

May 10, 2020 - Fifth Sunday of Easter




            The title that I have chosen for this message is A Saint Named Stephen … at least that was the title that I picked in January. I love St. Stephen. He is an amazing example of living by faith. He was one of the first deacons of the church, serving the marginalized physically and spiritually. He is the first Christian to die for the faith, and a marvelous example of mercy and forgiveness.
            That’s the title I chose in January. Now that its May, and we’ve been shut in our homes for two months, I’m not convinced that that is the message we need today. I think that, like Stephen, we should be thinking about caring for our neighbors, helping the hurting, and sharing the hope that Jesus has given us – a hope that gives us courage to face a death far less gruesome than his! But as much as I dig Stephen and am in awe of his example, I think it is the hope that Jesus gave Stephen, the hope that Jesus gives you and me, that needs to be our focus.
            Friends, “Let not your hearts be troubled.” Jesus said that. I have to confess that there have been a lot of days recently that my heart has been troubled. How about you? I’m troubled about people getting sick. I’m troubled about not being able to easily gather for worship. I’m troubled about where you all are at. I’m troubled that someone might think, worshiping from home on the live stream is a lot more convenient than actually coming to church. I’m troubled about the economy. I’m troubled how people are polarized and reacting in ways that labels people we disagree with as though they were morally or intellectually inferior. I’m troubled that there are lonely people, that depression and anxiety are worsening, and that we’re so separated from the ones we love. I’m troubled that tax revenue from alcohol and tobacco consumption jumped greatly this past couple months. And I’m troubled because Jesus said, “Let not you heart be troubled,” and my heart is troubled!
            Can you relate? Is this just me again?
            When Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled,” he did not intend that statement to be a point to beat ourselves upon. He doesn’t just tell us, “Don’t worry, be happy,” as though we could just ignore what goes on around us in the world. In fact, he gives us the cure for our troubled heart. He says, “Believe in God; believe also in me.”
            In Philippians 4:7 we learn that there is a peace that surpasses all understanding that guards our hearts and minds in Jesus. Jesus is our peace, and his death on the cross atoned for our sin so that we can be at peace with God. When he says, Believe in God; believe also in me. For us, that belief is rooted in what Jesus has done, including the fact that he is risen from the dead. When you look at the cross and see what Jesus was willing to do to save you … do you really think he’s going to abandon you now?
Jesus has gone to prepare a place for you. This world with its sickness, death, isolation, fears, and frustrations, this is not our home. You dwell here as aliens and strangers, awaiting a better more permanent home after the Resurrection. You and I live as people with a new identity in an old and dying world. In Christ, you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a people for God’s own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
That reality has broken into your life – and that is why your heart, my heart, need not be troubled. That reality of God’s transformation is what allowed Stephen to forgive those who stoned him. That reality of God’s acceptance and mercy is what transformed young Saul into Paul the Apostle and messenger of the Gospel for the Gentiles – the outsiders, the marginalized, the looked down upon. That reality that God chose you in Jesus to call you out of the darkness of sin and death into the marvelous light of his glory and grace is what gives you the ability to proclaim God’s goodness even now, and to believe that everything is going to be okay. Even if okay doesn’t come until we see the heavens opened, and Jesus, the Son of Man, standing at the right hand of God.
Jesus invites us today to believe him. Believe his promises. Believe his forgiveness. Believe his word. And if we have trouble taking him at his word, he invites to believe on the basis on the works he did – and for us that includes his death and resurrection. He invites us to believe him and to ask … to pray in his name … to pray as Jesus teaches us to pray – like dear children speaking to their beloved Father.
Is your heart troubled like mine has been? Jesus is preparing a place for you. He will not abandon you. He is the way, the truth and the life, and he will see you through. And, if you still feel troubled, call out in prayer. He has promised to hear and answer you. Amen.
           


Comments