May 13: Evening Devotion



Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. (Isa. 26:3 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
O God, you search me and know me. You know my going out and my coming in. As I come before you this evening, it is in the knowledge that you know the weight and value of all that I did today even better than I do. Help me to confess my sins to you – sins of my thoughts, … sins of my words, … sins of my deeds. Do not let me try to hide anything from you out of fear of your judgement. Rather let my fear of you drive me to confess freely and fully because while you alone are the only one with the right and authority to judge and condemn me eternally, you have chosen to give me mercy, love and forgiveness in Jesus’ death and resurrection. While I have sinned against you and offended you deeply, you have chosen to give me your Spirit as a Comforter who leads me to your grace. Forgive my sins for Jesus’ sake, and by the working of the Holy Spirit, fix my sinful life. Amen.

Catechism Reflections

The First Commandment

You shall have no other gods.
What does this mean? We should fear, love, and trust in God above all things.

When we talk about gods we mean anything from which we expect the good things in our lives and in which we take refuge when things go wrong. In Luke 12:13-34, Jesus talks about people seeking good and taking refuge in some false gods in their lives.

The Parable of the Rich Fool
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15 And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” 16 And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17 and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18 And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21 So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

Do Not Be Anxious
22 And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[a] 26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,[b] yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. 30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, seek his[c] kingdom, and these things will be added to you.
32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Listen to that part again that says, “Your Father knows that you need them” and it is his “pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Jesus’ redemption gives you all of God’s good gifts and it shows God’s commitment to you. Idolatry has, at its heart, a distrust, a lack of faith that God can really provide for you. In Jesus, you can see how far he will go to save you, and you can know he will not leave you or forsake you.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
“Give us this day our daily bread.”
Heavenly Father, You give daily bread to everyone without our prayers, even to all evil people, but we pray in this petition that God would lead us to realize this and to receive our daily bread with thanksgiving. Make us mindful of all that You give us that has to do with the support and needs of the body, such as food, drink, clothing, shoes, house, home, land, animals, money, goods, a devout husband or wife, devout children, devout workers, devout and faithful rulers, good government, good weather, peace, health, self-control, good reputation, good friends, faithful neighbors, and help us to always give thanks to You; in Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (2 Cor. 13:14 ESV)


Comments