May 13: Morning Devotion



Good Morning, Lord!
I Am Baptized
3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. (Rom. 6:3-5 ESV)

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
Lord, this is the day that you have made. I will rejoice and be glad in it for this day is a gift from you. Guard and protect my heart and mind today. Give me courage to face the day in faith and help me to walk through today knowing that, no matter what it brings, your grace is sufficient for me. I want to give you glory by using my gifts to the fullest of the potential you have given me, but, at the same time, I ask that my life be known for the mercy, forgiveness, and hope you have given for me, even above my competence or success. Help me to seek first your kingdom, O God, and let me trust you to add to me that which you know I need. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

I Believe …
I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true.

Bible Reading – Psalm 3
Save Me, O My God
A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
O Lord, how many are my foes!
    Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah[a]
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
    and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
I lay down and slept;
    I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
    who have set themselves against me all around.
Arise, O Lord!
    Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
    you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people! Selah[1]

Jesus prayed in the midst of his enemies. Even when he was crucified he prayed, “Father forgive them.” and, “Into your hands I commit my spirit.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a Lutheran pastor and a German resistance leader during World War II, wrote, “Jesus Christ lived in the midst of his enemies. In the end, all his disciples abandoned him. On the cross he was all alone, surrounded by criminals and the jeering crowds.” And he concludes on this basis, “The Christian cannot simply take for granted the privilege of living among other Christians.”[2]

Just as Jesus was surrounded by enemies, we also will find ourselves surrounded by those who would attack our faith, mislead us, and, if they could, steal our hope in Christ. Where shall we turn when we experience opposition like that? We turn to the Lord; just as Jesus did. Again from Bonhoeffer, “[Jesus] had come for the express purpose of bringing peace to the enemies of God. So Christians, too, belong not in the seclusion of a cloistered life but in the midst of enemies.”[3]

Jesus reminds us that the world will tell us, “There is no salvation for you in God.” But we have a God who fights on our behalf. Our savior has faced the fiercest opposition, the hardest temptations, and the loudest accusations and he trusted his Father to vindicate him.

When we face opposition for the sake of Jesus, and we will when we follow him, our hope is not in our strength to overcome our opponents. Our courage does not come from our wisdom or strength. Instead it is in trusting that the LORD hears our prayer, “Save me, O my God!” and that he hears and answers. Indeed, that he has heard and already answered in Christ, and we are waiting, trusting, living in faith, that his blessing is upon us.

Question for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Prayer
Pray about the creation. This certainly includes things like pollution and proper care for creation, but it also includes growing seasons, the bounty of the earth, food for the hungry, and every aspect of bodily life.

Lord’s Prayer
Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven;
give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those
who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the kingdom
and the power and the glory
forever and ever. Amen.

Benediction
The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore. (Ps. 121:7-8 ESV)



[1] English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.

[2] Bonhoeffer, Dietrich, Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 5, Fortress Press, Minneaopolis, 2005, p. 27
[3] Ibid

Comments