May 15: Evening Devotion



Words of Comfort
May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace! (Ps. 29:11 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
O Lord, my God, I thank you for bringing this day to its close. I thank you for giving rest to body and soul. Your hand has been over me, guarding me and preserving me.

Forgive my feeble faith and all the wrong I have done this day, and help me to forgive all who have wronged me.

Grant that I may sleep in peace beneath your care, and defend me from the temptations of darkness. Into your hands I commend my loved ones, I commend this household, I commend my body and soul. O God, your holy name be praised. Amen.[1]

Catechism Reflections
The First Commandment
You shall have no other gods.
What does this mean? We should fear, love, and trust in God above all things.

We’ve been talking about the gods we should not worship, but who is this God that we are to fear, love, and trust above all things?

He is the Creator of all things; the one who, in the beginning said, “Let there be …” and there was. He is the one who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. (Rom 4:17) He says of himself, “I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the LORD, who does all these things.”

He is good and gracious. He keeps his promises. He says, “I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it.” (Ezekiel 17:24 & 36:36)

He is eternal spirit and does not change. He says, “I the LORD do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.”

He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. That is; he is all powerful, all knowing, and present everywhere. As it says in Psalm 139, “O Lord, You have searched me and know me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.”

He is holy and just. And he is love. And we have received that love through Jesus who died and rose again. God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son that whoever believes in Him may not perish but have everlasting life. He is love, and we love God, because he first loved us.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
“And forgive us our trespasses and we forgive those who trespass against us.”
Heavenly Father, do not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that You would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. But you have given Your Son, our Savior, Jesus to bear our sins in His body on the cross and given us forgiveness for His sake. For Jesus’ sake help us to sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (1 Tim. 1:17 ESV)



[1] Bonhoeffer, Dietrich, Prisoner for God, from Doberstein, John, The Minister’s Prayer Book, Fortress Press, 1986, p. 36

Comments