May 15: Morning Devotion


Good Morning, Lord!

I Am Baptized
You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. – 1 Corinthians 6:11

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
O Lord Jesus Christ, it was on a Friday that you bore the cross to rescue me from sin and death. On this Friday, help me take up my cross and follow you. You were lifted up to draw all people to yourself, draw me, too, and help me know your love for me more fully and, knowing your love, enable me to love my neighbors. Let me bear your marks on my body – marks of love, mercy, forgiveness, truthfulness, and faith. If it is my lot to suffer today, help me to do as you did trusting in our heavenly Father. If it is my lot to have good things today, help me to receive it as a blessing in gratitude. O Savior of the world, who has redeemed me by the your cross and precious blood, save me and help me, now and forever. Amen.

I Believe …
You shall have no other gods.
You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God.
Remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy.
Honor your father and mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Bible Reading – Psalm 3
Save Me, O My God
A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
O Lord, how many are my foes!
    Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah[a]
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
    and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
I lay down and slept;
    I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
    who have set themselves against me all around.
Arise, O Lord!
    Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
    you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people! Selah[1]

It was Saturday, March 28, 2015. I met some from friends for a morning run. The weather had been beautiful, but that morning the temperatures had plunged into the teens and it had snowed. I started out, but about twenty-yards into the run, while I was still in the parking lot, I slipped on a patch of ice and came down hard striking the back of my head on the pavement. Everything went dark, and the next thing I knew my friends were above me and I was looking up into some very concerned faces.

I knew I was hurt, but I didn’t know how bad. I decided to drive home. (Pro Tip: If you hit your head really hard, don’t drive home.) I remember feeling something like darkness pushing in. I got home, but I was struggling to put words to thoughts. It was very frightening. My wife took me to the Emergency Room, where they looked me over and declared that I had a concussion, but they said that I should be fine if I took it easy and rested.

I was not fine. I never had a CT scan or anything of the sort, but driving to church the next day (the doctor said that would be okay) I had a panic attack. The lights and music during worship hurt and I had to hide in my office between services. I was not fine, and I still experience what I think are residual effects of that injury. One of those effects is that I cannot read as fast as I once could. On one hand, I find this very frustrating. I like to read and get through things quickly. On the other hand, this has been a blessing because it has forced me to slow down and re-read - and sometimes re-re-read. This can be good, particularly when you are reading the Scriptures.

My foes at that time were not people, but the injury in my brain and the frailty of my mind and emotions. I felt hopeless – will I recover? Is there hope that God will save me? I cried out to Jesus and learned what it meant to need him more fully than I ever had, and I experienced what it means to be sustained by him. I’m a fairly competent person. I learned that I tend to lean on myself … trust in myself … to get things done. That wasn’t possible … I needed to rely on others, my wife and children, members of my congregation – and they became Jesus’ hands and feet to help me in my troubles.

When we experience troubles and hardships, we often ask, “Why is this happening to me?” Perhaps it is enough to accept that it is happening, and to cry out to God to place our struggles in his hands to trust that everything will be okay because of his love and faithfulness. We can lay down and rest knowing that we will wake again – even if we lay down and rest in the grave we will wake again – because Jesus has become our salvation and in Him we need not be afraid.

Question for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Prayer
Pray for those who are sick, injured, grieving, dying, lonely, bullied, and experiencing injustice.

Lord’s Prayer
Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven;
give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those
who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the kingdom
and the power and the glory
forever and ever. Amen.

Benediction
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 1:24-25 ESV)



[1] English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.


Comments

ED SOLEM said…
I've been trying to use the follow button. But, even though I am logged in as Ed Solem, it will only let me follow as Gill. In fact, if I select "Google Account" for this post it always assumes that I am Gill.