May 19: Morning Devotion




Good Morning, Lord!
I Am Baptized
And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:38 ESV)

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
O Lord Jesus, my heart still beats. My lungs draw breath. My body takes nourishment and my digestive system does its work. I consider my brain and am in awe of the many functions it performs and I am not even aware. I ponder the complexity of this body that is me and I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am your workmanship created to do good works prepared in advance for me to do. I am your beloved child redeemed to live in your love. I am the temple of Holy Spirit who dwells in me. Let me rejoice in you today, O God, my Creator, Savior, and Comforter. Amen.

I Believe …
I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them. He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life. He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil. All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him. This is most certainly true.

Bible Reading – Psalm 4
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have given me relief when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
O men,[a] how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
    How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
Be angry,[b] and do not sin;
    ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
Offer right sacrifices,
    and put your trust in the Lord.
There are many who say, “Who will show us some good?
    Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”
You have put more joy in my heart
    than they have when their grain and wine abound.
In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
    for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

I remember hearing an interview with a county commissioner talking about his job. He was asked what he did when people called with complaints. He spun a long tale about how when people called about sewer problems he would refer them to one person. If they called about bad roads, he referred them to someone else. If they called about a zoning issue, he referred to yet someone else. Then he said, “But every once in a while, someone will call who is very pleased with the county’s work.” The reporter asked, “What do you do then?” The commissioner replied, “I say, ‘Thank you!’”
Has anyone ever taken credit for work that you did? Have you ever experienced the injustice of someone taking all the compliments for a project in which they barely participated?
God is the, “God of my righteousness.” But all too often we act like there is something we can do to be righteous. If we’re really pious, we might realize that we can’t do the whole job of being righteous, but we sometimes get the idea that there is something, no matter how small, that we add to our righteousness. Sometimes we believe that Jesus forgave our sins, but now we better be good and do everything right. There must be something we do be righteous in God’s sight, right?
No. In fact, that belief is sort of like trying to take credit for what Jesus has given us freely as a gift. The Psalm says, “O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?” When we believe or teach that there is something, anything, that we must do to be righteous in God’s sight we turn his honor to our shame, love vain, empty, hopeless words, and seek after lies. Christ’s righteous is not just enough, it is everything.
There is another kind of righteousness – a righteousness that we might equate with good behavior, doing right things in relationship with our neighbors, and that sort of thing. We call this civic righteousness. Civic righteousness and the righteousness of God are not the same thing. We have the power to do what is right in relationship to our neighbor, but not in relationship with God.
We need Jesus. He is the truly godly one, being both God and Human. He is the one God set apart for his own purpose, saving us from sin and death, and reconciling us to God. “The LORD hears when I call him,” because when we pray through faith in Jesus, when we pray in Jesus’ name, Jesus prays with us and for us and his Father hears him, and through him, he hears and answers us when we call.

Question for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Prayer
Pray for the government and all who are in authority.
Pray that God grants wisdom, integrity, courage, and safety to all our leaders, to police, firefighters, health care professionals, and all who work for the public good.

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Third Petition: “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
O God, Your will is done even without our prayers, but we pray that it may be done among us also. Please break and hinder every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful nature, which do not want us to hallow Your name or let Your kingdom come. Strengthen and keep us firm in Your Word and faith until we die. Let Your good and gracious will be done. Amen.

Benediction
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thess. 5:23 ESV)


Comments