May 20: Morning Devotion




Good Morning, Lord!
I Am Baptized
3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. (Rom. 6:3-5 ESV)

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
O Lord, morning by morning you awaken me, and each day is an invitation to walk with you by faith. Help me see my day filled with tasks which you have prepared for me. Let me recognize how you have equipped me for my vocations and relationships. Make me aware of how you empower me to bring your blessings into the lives of others. Help me to know the many blessings you pour out on me that I might both receive them with thanksgiving and use them to your glory. Most of all, I pray that you would impress upon my heart the peace that comes from Christ’s death and resurrection, the joy of his salvation, and the comfort of the presence of his Spirit. Amen.

I Believe …
I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true.

Bible Reading – Psalm 4
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.
4 Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have given me relief when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
O men,[a] how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
    How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
Be angry,[b] and do not sin;
    ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
Offer right sacrifices,
    and put your trust in the Lord.
There are many who say, “Who will show us some good?
    Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”
You have put more joy in my heart
    than they have when their grain and wine abound.
In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
    for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

I am not one who is prone to outbursts of anger. My anger tends to simmer in the background. I like to think that I keep it under control, but a simmering anger is like simmering milk. Eventually it bubbles up and leaves a big scorched mess. Can you relate?

In v. 4, David writes, “Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.” He ends the verse with that enigmatic word, Selah. There is definitely something to ponder here!

We like to speak of righteous anger. People will point to Jesus driving out the money changers from the temple as proof that there is room for the expression of anger in our lives. We need to be careful here, however. Our motives are not pure like Jesus’ motives were. The thoughts of our hearts are often a mixture of good and bad. Too often we identify righteous anger as our own anger and it includes anything that upsets me and my sensibilities. Christ may have been angry without sin, but I suspect he was the last (and perhaps the first) man to pull that off.

The Psalm would actually guide us to not act upon our anger. We will experience distress in life, and when we call out to God we will find that the world mocks our faith and hope in him. There will be times that we will become annoyed, perturbed, and angry at the state of things. Remember that Jesus himself said, “In this world you will have trouble.” What then should you do? Take heart. Jesus has overcome the world.

You are invited to leave your anger and your desire for vengeance in God’s hands. He will give you relief. He will hear when you call. And he will not sin in his anger. Ponder in your hearts all that God has done for you – meditate on his salvation – and be silent, knowing that God’s righteousness is yours through faith in Jesus.

Does this mean that we should do nothing about all the injustices and wrongs in the world? Of course not! But when we rest in Jesus’ righteousness our actions will not be driven by anger, but by love. Remember, it was not God’s anger that moved Jesus to redeem you. It was his love for you. And in his love he has freed you from the need to vent your anger and to walk in love.

Question for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Prayer
Pray about the creation. This certainly includes things like pollution and proper care for creation, but it also includes growing seasons, the bounty of the earth, food for the hungry, and every aspect of bodily life.

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Fourth Petition: “Give us this day our daily bread.”
Heavenly Father, You give daily bread to everyone without our prayers, even to all evil people, but we pray in this petition that You would lead us to realize this and to receive our daily bread with thanksgiving. Make us mindful of all that You give us that has to do with the support and needs of the body, such as food, drink, clothing, shoes, house, home, land, animals, money, goods, a devout husband or wife, devout children, devout workers, devout and faithful rulers, good government, good weather, peace, health, self-control, good reputation, good friends, faithful neighbors, and help us to always give thanks to You; in Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

Benediction
The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore. (Ps. 121:7-8 ESV)

Comments