May 29: Morning Devotion




Good Morning, Lord!
I Am Baptized
Baptism … now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. (1 Pet. 3:21 ESV)

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
O Lord, as this morning dawns, I know that much has happened in the night. I think of the many terrible things that I have seen and heard in the news this week and I know that there is much trouble in the world. Sometimes those troubles and the troubles of my own life are overwhelming. Nevertheless, as I arise I thank You for this new day. I place my troubles and sorrows into Your hands, along with the troubles and sorrows of this world. You are God and You love all of Your creation. As I trust in You, all will be well in my soul, and You give me peace, strength and joy to face this day. Amen.

I Believe …
You shall have no other gods.
You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God.
Remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy.
Honor your father and mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Bible Reading – Psalm 6
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments; according to The Sheminith. A Psalm of David.
O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger,
    nor discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
    heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
My soul also is greatly troubled.
    But you, O Lord—how long?
Turn, O Lord, deliver my life;
    save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
    in Sheol who will give you praise?
I am weary with my moaning;
    every night I flood my bed with tears;
    I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eye wastes away because of grief;
    it grows weak because of all my foes.
Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
    for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my plea;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;
    they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.[1]

I don’t know what life event moved David to write this Psalm, but there is a feeling of desperation and a tone of pleading. When he writes that his bones and soul are troubled, that word can also be translated dismayed and even terrified. Something has happened that has shaken David to his core. He believes that he deserves God’s anger and wrath, but he pleads for mercy and deliverance.

This Psalm is what is called a Penitential Psalm. There are seven of these Penitential Psalms, and they are rooted in the anguish people sometimes feel when they are cut to the heart as they are confronted with the wretchedness of their sin.

Can you relate? Have you ever been in that place where your sin weighs so heavily upon you that you feel like there must not be any hope? You feel like God has turned against you and he is actively punishing you for what you did? It gnaws away at your mind, your heart, your spirit, and you even feel it in your body. It is a terrible sensation – but it’s real, and many Christians across history talk about this dark awful sensation as if God had removed his love because of their sin.

How does one get through such a bleak time? By faith. Even in your despair, throw yourself on the Lord’s mercy and grace. Remember his promises – especially the promises you have in baptism: forgiveness, salvation, resurrection, the comfort of the Holy Spirit because Jesus died and rose for you. You cling to v. 9, “The LORD has heard my plea; The LORD accepts my prayer.” We trust this because he gave his only begotten Son to bear your sin. He will not abandon you.  

Question for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer – The Sixth Petition
“And lead us not into temptation.”
Father in heaven, You tempt no one. Please guard and keep us so that the devil, the world, and our sinful nature may not deceive us or mislead us into false belief, despair, and other great shame and vice. Although we are attacked by these things, we pray that we may finally overcome them and win the victory through Jesus, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Prayer
Pray for those who are sick, injured, grieving, dying, lonely, bullied, and experiencing injustice.

Benediction
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 1:24-25 ESV)



[1] English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.


Comments