May 5: Evening Devotion


Good Evening, Lord!
Words of Comfort
Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age (Matt. 28:20 ESV)

Prayer of Confession
O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Ps. 139:1-3, 23-24 ESV)

Catechism Reflections
Over the years I have been asked on several occasions, “Why do we need a catechism? Why don’t we just use the Bible to teach?” In fact, there are church bodies that reject things like catechisms and creeds and claim to teach “only the Bible.” Which is a noble sentiment, but if you scratch the surface, you’ll find they have some system of teaching that they follow. We all do, this is because we receive ideas, process them, and communicate them.

The catechism is communication of what we have received from the Scriptures. It draws from the entirety of the Scriptures and summarizes what the Bible teaches. It communicates God’s Word because it relays what God has said – much as a sermon does on Sunday morning. It draws from and applies God’s Word to you.

As we approach the Small Catechism, its value is not in the fact that Martin Luther wrote it. Its value is in the fact that it rightly reflects what God teaches in the Bible. Should you accept that on my word? No! But you should use these reflections on the Catechism as a jumping in point, a place to start asking questions, and an opportunity to explore God’s Word.

Acts 17:10 and following tells of Paul’s missionary journey to Berea, and it says that those who heard Paul’s message there were of noble character and that they searched the Scriptures – the part of the Bible we would call the Old Testament – regarding his teaching. I would encourage you to take the same attitude toward the Small Catechism. Hear what it has to say, then search the Scriptures and see if it is right.

If you choose to dig into the Catechism, it will be helpful to have a copy for yourself, and I recommend an edition with an explanation. The Explanation section both expands on what the Catechism says, but also offers steps back into the Bible to see where the teaching comes from. I have put links below to get my favorite edition of the Small Catechism in both book format and as an app for Apple and Android.[1]

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Third Petition - “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
O God, Your will is done even without our prayers, but we pray that it may be done among us also. Please break and hinder every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful nature, which do not want us to hallow Your name or let Your kingdom come. Strengthen and keep us firm in Your Word and faith until we die. Let Your good and gracious will be done. Amen.

Verse of Benediction
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. (Rom. 15:13 ESV)

Question

What are you thankful for this evening?



[1] Luther’s Small Catechism from Amazon, here is a link to the Apple App, and here is one for the Android App. (No, I don’t get any sponsorship from these links!)

Comments