June 1: Morning Devotion




Good Morning, Lord!
I Am Baptized
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. (Gal. 3:27 ESV)

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
We give you thanks, and more than thanks!, O Lord our God, for all your goodness at all times and in all places, because you have shielded, rescued, helped, and guided us all the days of our lives, and brought us to this moment. We pray and ask you, merciful God, to, by your goodness, allow us to spend this day, and all the time of our lives, without sin, in joy, holiness, and worship of you. But drive away from us, O Lord, all envy, all fear, and all temptations. Bestow upon us what is good and beneficial. Whatever sin we commit in thought, word, or deed, we pray that you would graciously pardon because of your goodness and mercy. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, through the grace, mercy, and love of your only-begotten Son. Amen.[1]

I Believe …
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the
virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He
descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge
the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the
forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

Bible Reading – Psalm 6
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments; according to The Sheminith.[a] A Psalm of David.
O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger,
    nor discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
    heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
My soul also is greatly troubled.
    But you, O Lord—how long?
Turn, O Lord, deliver my life;
    save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
    in Sheol who will give you praise?
I am weary with my moaning;
    every night I flood my bed with tears;
    I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eye wastes away because of grief;
    it grows weak because of all my foes.
Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
    for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my plea;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;
    they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.[2]

There are six of these Penitential Psalms in the Psalter. Six. Out of one-hundred-and-fifty. Six. I find this interesting. I would think that repentance would be a major theme of these prayers.

In his short commentary on Psalms, The Prayerbook of the Bible, Dietrich Bonhoeffer also noticed this and commented: There are fewer prayers for the forgiveness of sins in the Psalter than we expect. Most psalms presuppose complete certainty of the forgiveness of sins. That may surprise us. But even in the New Testament the same thing is true. Christian prayer is diminished and endangered when it revolves exclusively around the forgiveness of sins. There is such a thing as confidently leaving sin behind for the sake of Jesus Christ.[3]

We need the Penitential Psalms because sometimes our guilt and sorrow at our sin overwhelm us. Sometimes we say or do things that shock, sadden, and embarrass us. We need words to confess those sins. More recently I have found myself overwhelmed by my participation in systemic sin – the sins of injustice that impact people I’ve never met. For instance the battery in my iPhone has elements that were mined by slaves. Was the shirt I am wearing sewn in a sweatshop? Why is it okay that the coffee farmer lives in poverty, only getting pennies on the dollar for his crop, so that I can sip this delicious beverage?

While these are important matters which should not just be set aside, there is a danger in our prayers revolve exclusively, as Bonhoeffer said, around the forgiveness of sins. The danger is this, that having our eyes so intensely focused on our sins and forgiveness that we end up only focusing on ourselves. We are privileged and blessed to use this gift of prayer, not only for ourselves, but also for our neighbors. What is more if we only focus on God’s gift of forgiveness, we run the risk of missing the many other blessings God has given us.

Bonhoeffer says, “There is such a thing as confidently leaving sin behind for the sake of Jesus Christ.” We live in peace and confidence that our sins are forgiven for Jesus’ sake. We don’t have to cringe and try to enumerate every sin we’ve ever committed. There is a time for our hearts to pray the Penitential Psalms and for our lips to form these words of sorrow and confession, and when those times come we are blessed to have God’s guidance in these Psalms. We are also free to presuppose with complete certainty that we are forgiven, living and praying in joy and peace because of Jesus’ cross and empty tomb.

Questions for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Second Petition: “Thy kingdom come”
O God, everlasting Father, Your kingdom comes even without our prayer, but, please, let it come to us, too! Please give us Your Holy Spirit, so that by His grace we may believe Your Word, and live godly lives here in time and there in eternity. Amen.

Prayer
Pray for God to help you to understand and believe His Word.
Pray for increased faith, hope, and love.

Benediction
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph. 3:20-21 ESV)


[1] Liturgy of St. Mark (175-254?) – accessed in Tileston, Mary Wilder, Prayers Ancient and Modern, Grosset Dunlap, New York, 1897
[2] English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
[3] Bonhoeffer, Dietrich, The Prayerbook of the Bible, Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol 5, First Fortress Press, 2005, p. 171

Comments