June 4: Morning Devotion




Good Morning, Lord!
I Am Baptized
God saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit. (Tit. 3:5 ESV)

Make the sign of the cross as you say, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

A Morning Prayer
O God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, to You be all glory and honor today and every day eternally! I rise from sleep, and am reminded that one day I will rise from death because of Your salvation. I make my bed, and remember that You make all things new. Amen.

I Believe …
I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. In the same way He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian Church He daily and richly forgives all my sins and the sins of all believers. On the Last Day He will raise me and all the dead, and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ.
This is most certainly true.

Bible Reading – Psalm 7

A Shiggaion[a] of David, which he sang to the Lord concerning the words of Cush, a Benjaminite.
O Lord my God, in you do I take refuge;
    save me from all my pursuers and deliver me,
lest like a lion they tear my soul apart,
    rending it in pieces, with none to deliver.
O Lord my God, if I have done this,
    if there is wrong in my hands,
if I have repaid my friend[b] with evil
    or plundered my enemy without cause,
let the enemy pursue my soul and overtake it,
    and let him trample my life to the ground
    and lay my glory in the dust. Selah
Arise, O Lord, in your anger;
    lift yourself up against the fury of my enemies;
    awake for me; you have appointed a judgment.

Let the assembly of the peoples be gathered about you;
    over it return on high.
The Lord judges the peoples;
    judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness
    and according to the integrity that is in me.
Oh, let the evil of the wicked come to an end,
    and may you establish the righteous—
you who test the minds and hearts,[c]
    O righteous God!
10 My shield is with God,
    who saves the upright in heart.
11 God is a righteous judge,
    and a God who feels indignation every day.
12 If a man[d] does not repent, God[e] will whet his sword;
    he has bent and readied his bow;
13 he has prepared for him his deadly weapons,
    making his arrows fiery shafts.

14 Behold, the wicked man conceives evil
    and is pregnant with mischief
    and gives birth to lies.
15 He makes a pit, digging it out,
    and falls into the hole that he has made.
16 His mischief returns upon his own head,
    and on his own skull his violence descends.
17 I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness,
    and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.[1]

Psalms like Psalm 7 (and Psalm 5, although I didn’t address this when we went through it) are called Imprecatory Psalms. These are Psalms that call for God’s judgement and wrath to fall upon his enemies. These can be difficult. How do they fit with the call to love our neighbor, to love mercy, and to forgive those who sin against us?

Some thoughts from Dietrich Bonhoeffer might be helpful here:

The enemies referred to here are enemies of God’s cause, who lay hands on us because of God. Therefore it is nowhere a matter of personal conflict. Nowhere do those who pray these psalms want to take revenge into their own hands; they leave vengeance to God alone (cf. Rom. 12:19). Therefore they must abandon all personal thoughts of revenge and must be free from their own thirst for revenge; otherwise vengeance is not seriously left to God. Indeed only those who are themselves innocent in relation to the enemy can leave vengeance to God. The prayer for the vengeance of God is the prayer for the carrying out of God’s righteousness in the judgement of sin. This judgement must be made known if God stands by Gods Word, and it must be made known to those upon whom it falls; with my sin I myself belong under this judgement. I have no right to want to hinder this judgement. It must be fulfilled for God’s sake. And it has certainly been fulfilled in a wonderful way.

God’s vengeance did not fall on the sinners, but on the only sinless one, the Son of God, who stood in the place of sinners. Jesus Christ bore the vengeance of God….

It is good and right to want God to destroy sin, and we actively pray for him to fight on our behalf against powers we cannot overcome. When we pray, “deliver us from evil,” in the Lord’s Prayer, we are asking him to come to our rescue and to exert his power against the evils that attack us. The mystery in all this is that God defeats evil through Jesus, the Holy One, going to the cross to die on our behalf. By his death he becomes our refuge from God’s wrath, and our mission as Christians is to draw others into this refuge, to invite them into this salvation. This is because we have come to know there is no other savior, and no other hope for those who are outside of this refuge, and in love for our neighbor we call them to come to the God who, in love, destroys evil to save his people.

Question for Meditation
What does this reading teach you about Jesus, what He said and did, or what He wants His followers to believe? What does it teach you about God’s love and forgiveness?
What does this reading lead you to be thankful for?
What behavior, thought, or attitude does this reading challenge? What sin does it lead you to confess?
How might you pray for God to have a richer impact on your life through this reading?

Petitions of the Lord’s Prayer
The Fifth Petition: “And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”
Heavenly Father, do not look at our sins, or deny our prayer because of them. We are neither worthy of the things for which we pray, nor have we deserved them, but we ask that You would give them all to us by grace, for we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment. But you have given Your Son, our Savior, Jesus to bear our sins in His body on the cross and given us forgiveness for His sake. For Jesus’ sake help us to sincerely forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us. Amen.

Prayer
Pray for your spouse, parents, family, and friends – and for your enemies.

Benediction
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. (2 Thess. 2:16-17 ESV)



[1] English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.


Comments