August 3-9: Meditation on the Gospel of Matthew

A Daily Meditation on the Gospel of Matthew

Opening with Prayer

Begin with a prayer that calls on God; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. You might use this prayer or one like it: 

Lord God, heavenly Father, you spoke by your prophets and promised that your word would accomplish the purpose for which you sent it. Use this word to as a lamp for my feet and a light for my path. Teach me, that I may know your ways, your grace, your love, mercy, and forgiveness. 

Lord Jesus Christ, you are the Word made Flesh. No one comes to the Father apart from you! You gave apostles to teach your word, and through them we learn that faith comes by hearing and hearing by your word. Thank you for creating faith in me. Give me ears to hear and believe, and, by believing, grant me life in your name. 

O Holy Spirit, you are the Comforter who reminds us of all that Jesus has proclaimed. You use the word to create and sustain faith in me and all believers. Breathe into my mind to grant me understanding of the Scriptures. Kindle my heart to live by God’s promises. Well up in my soul to overflow in faith, hope and love as a witness to the salvation you have given me. 

I pray these things in Jesus’ name. Amen. 

Looking at the Word

Copy the section of the Gospel of Matthew for the day, or a portion of Scripture of your own choosing.

Aug. 3       7:1–11

Aug. 4       7:12–20

Aug. 5       7:21–29

Aug. 6       8:1–13

Aug. 7       8:14–22

Aug. 8       8:23–34 

Pray from the Word

Use the following pattern to speak to God about what you have just read / copied: Instruction, Thanksgiving, Confession and Petition. 

Instruction:                Tell God what you learned and/or summarize what he says.

Thanksgiving:           Thank God for something from the reading or as the Spirit moves you through the reading.

Confession:                Confess whatever sins the reading confronts in your life, trusting in Jesus’ forgiveness.

Petition:                     Pray as the reading prompts you and as the Spirit leads you. 

After this pray about any other matters of life that are pressing in your heart or mind. 

Pray as Jesus Teaches

Our Father who art in heaven,

hallowed be Thy name,

Thy kingdom come,

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven;

give us this day our daily bread;

and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;

and lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen. 

Go in Peace

 

 


Comments