Romans 5:6-11

 

Paul’s Epistle to the Romans

June 27, 2021

Opening Prayer

Psalm 119  

137   Righteous are you, O Lord,
and right are your rules.
138   You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness
and in all faithfulness.
139   My zeal consumes me,
because my foes forget your words.
140   Your promise is well tried,
and your servant loves it.
 
141   I am small and despised,
yet I do not forget your precepts.
142   Your righteousness is righteous forever,
and your law is true.
143   Trouble and anguish have found me out,
but your commandments are my delight.
144   Your testimonies are righteous forever;
give me understanding that I may live.

Romans 5:1-5

Therefore, since we have been justified (that is passively made/declared righteous) by (from) faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. [1]

Romans 5:6-11

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

v. 6

       The subject of the sentence is Christ.

       Who is the object?

o   This word can mean impious as well us ungodly or godless.

o   What does this look like?

o   Isaiah 65:1-6 - I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for me;
    I was ready to be found by those who did not seek me.
I said, “Here I am, here I am,”
    to a nation that was not called by[a] my name.
I spread out my hands all the day
    to a rebellious people,
who walk in a way that is not good,
    following their own devices;
a people who provoke me
    to my face continually,
sacrificing in gardens
    and making offerings on bricks;
who sit in tombs,
    and spend the night in secret places;
who eat pig's flesh,
    and broth of tainted meat is in their vessels;
who say, “Keep to yourself,
    do not come near me, for I am too holy for you.”
These are a smoke in my nostrils,
    a fire that burns all the day.

o   Luke 19:10 – “I came to seek and save the lost.”

       When did this take place?

       What does this mean about our conversion, salvation, and faith?

o   Romans 3:21-25a - But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith.

o   Psalm 130:3-4 - If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,
    O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
    that you may be feared.

v. 7-8

Who would you die for?

-        Secret Service

-        Parents for children

 

God shows his love …

-        Where do people look to see God’s love?

-        Where and when does God show us his love?

-        What are some implications of this revelation?

o   When we do evangelism?

o   When we deal with “Repugnant Cultural Others”?

o   When we see abuse and brokenness in churches?

o   When we think about ourselves in relationship to the world?




[1] All Scripture (unless otherwise noted) is from The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Ro 5:1–5). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.


Comments